Agitation affect fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerstache

Reaction score
I've been moving my carboys around to keep the fermentation temps in check and am wondering if moving around the carboys affects the fermentation at all? Seems like when the ferm. is going strong, the agitation interupts it for awhile, but picks up again. I finally got a keezer for my ferm. now, so no more moving around. My beers seem to have no detrimental affect, just wondering for any observations out there.

Well the short answer here is once you set your fermenter down and pitch your yeast, you should try and avoid moving it for sure. Now, having recently went through setting up my brew area and having to rearrange things in my house all the time leading up to that, I too moved fermenters around a bit as well without any detrimental after effects. I use big mouth bubblers so I was able to see everything going on inside while I moved it. So if you're using pails, it makes it harder. Few words of advice though...if you do have to move them, make sure you aren't sloshing them as it will disturb the trub and this is the stuff you are trying to filter out of your beer (to some degree). You also don't want to disturb your krausen either. In my case, squeezing the fermenter was also easier to do as the bubbler isn't all that ridged so one hand on the bottom and one on the lid is best no matter what you're using to ferment. Lastly, watch you aren't inadvertently sucking down your airlock fluid because if it runs dry, air could possibly get in and you run a higher risk of infection. All in all, try not to move them unless absolutely necessary...it's a balance the risk sort of thing. Good to hear you have a better fermenting environment moving forward. Happy brewing!

Latest posts

Back