Aging vs. heat: will my beer survive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

invivoSaccharomyces

Reaction score
I've got a spare carboy sitting around. One thing I'd like to do with it is brew something big, like a barleywine, tripel, RIS, or a wee heavy - something that might benefit from a bit of aging - and then forget about it for a few months while I continue to brew sessions with my regular equipment.

Problem is, the hottest part of summer is approaching, and I don't have a/c. Temperatures in my apartment can get up to around 95 degrees. What would that do to a beer in a carboy?

Should I go ahead and try it anyway? Or should I just wait out the summer? And if I go ahead with it, are there any types of beer that will fare better than others in the heat?

invivoSaccharomyces said:
I've got a spare carboy sitting around. One thing I'd like to do with it is brew something big, like a barleywine, tripel, RIS, or a wee heavy - something that might benefit from a bit of aging - and then forget about it for a few months while I continue to brew sessions with my regular equipment.

Problem is, the hottest part of summer is approaching, and I don't have a/c. Temperatures in my apartment can get up to around 95 degrees. What would that do to a beer in a carboy?

Should I go ahead and try it anyway? Or should I just wait out the summer? And if I go ahead with it, are there any types of beer that will fare better than others in the heat?

The air temperature in a room shouldn't affect the beer a huge amount. However, if it is at a constant temperature of 95 then it will most likely keep the beer very warm.

This is not necessarily a problem depending on what beer you want to brew. Obviously ales use higher temperatures which can go up to about 32 Celsius (not highly recommended though). Some lager kits can do the same, like coopers for example - they use top fermenting yeast for making their European lager and Mexican cerveza. So if you want to brew a lager then coopers kits could be a good option.

Having said all that, 95 Fahrenheit is unfortunately too high for a decent brew and the yeast will most likely die off. If there is any way in which you can cool the beer down then it should be fine. For example, you could put the beer in a bucket of cool water which will bring the temperature right down I think.

Let me know how you get on.

I'll echo what alexmet1 said... try putting together a swamp cooler of some sorts. I got a huge bucket at a local hardware store for under $15. I put my fermentor in that and throw some ice-packs in there, changing them once a day. Works well at keeping the temps down... though my room isn't at 95F either...

I'm not sure about the long time at the high heats, but from what I understand the fusel alcohols that are made at those temps can give you a nasty headache, making your beer pretty much undrinkable... but I believe that they're made during the most active part of fermentation (during the first few days). Same with some of the off-flavours from esters and what not. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes a swamp cooler is necessary at those temps. I've had fermentations get into the 70s and cause headache inducing clove flavored beer. Would also try Mauribrew ale yeast which the company claims will tolerate warmer temps but not many here have tried and vouched for it. I have a packet but haven't tried it yet. The first few days are most critical and you can let temps get higher once fermentation has slowed down a lot. Possibly into the 70s but I wouldn't let it get to the 90s. A heavier beer will mask some of the off flavors you get at high temps, FWIW.

In addition to what everyone else said, which I agree with, if you are looking for a style that tends to do better at higher temps, Belgians are often slightly more heat tolerant. Not 95F tolerant, but better than others.

Try a Belgian Stout with belgian ale yeast. I made THIS last fall and it's just now coming of age.

I think you guys are misunderstanding. I already have a swamp cooler, and I brew my beers at close to 70 or below. I would do the same with this beer.

My plan would be to brew this beer at 70 (or whatever the yeast called for), then after primary fermentation was done, transfer to the spare carboy and age it for a few months. It's during the aging that I wouldn't control the temperature (I don't have enough room for two swamp coolers, and I don't want to replace that many frozen water bottles).

Since fermentation is done at that point, there shouldn't be a risk of fusel alcohols being produced by the yeast. I'd also be surprised if the yeast died at that temperature.

I think you guys are misunderstanding. I already have a swamp cooler, and I brew my beers at close to 70 or below. I would do the same with this beer.

My plan would be to brew this beer at 70 (or whatever the yeast called for), then after primary fermentation was done, transfer to the spare carboy and age it for a few months. It's during the aging that I wouldn't control the temperature (I don't have enough room for two swamp coolers, and I don't want to replace that many frozen water bottles).

Since fermentation is done at that point, there shouldn't be a risk of fusel alcohols being produced by the yeast. I'd also be surprised if the yeast died at that temperature.

Personally I would let it age at a more neutral temperature than 95 but that is just my opinion.

Hope it goes well!

Personally I would let it age at a more neutral temperature than 95 but that is just my opinion.

Well, I'll see about petitioning Zeus for a cooler summer. But until then, anything I don't have in my swamp cooler is subject to the whims of the weather gods! ;)

Well, I'll see about petitioning Zeus for a cooler summer. But until then, anything I don't have in my swamp cooler is subject to the whims of the weather gods! ;)

Haha fair enough! But going back to your previous point: "don't want to freeze so many water bottles". You might not have to do that. Simply getting cooler water from the tap would cool the beer down a huge amount! It may work very well.

My understanding is that after fermentation temperature control "is not as important" so I think it's okay. After all we bottle in the seventies and don't worry about the warmth. But that's just my opinion. And 95 is kinda scary high. I'd get a second and third opinion. But I think *theoretically* you're okay.

Sometimes misunderstandings can be avoided if the proper terms are used... :D

You aren't BREWING the beer at 70F (at least I hope not). You're fermenting the beer at 70F. You want to do a secondary fermentation (also called a clarifiying step) at higher temps.

Also, why would you be surprised if the yeast died in the 90s? I wouldn't.

To answer your question regarding the secondary temps: I haven't a clue, you'd have to try it... but I wouldn't count on a great outcome.

Sometimes misunderstandings can be avoided if the proper terms are used... :D

Conceded.

Also, why would you be surprised if the yeast died in the 90s? I wouldn't.

Because yeast survives fine in nature without temperature control. Because strains of S. cerevisiae live in the human GI tract, which is 98 degrees. Because lab-grown S. cerevisiae is usually grown at 30 degrees C (~86 F). Because microbes are hardy little bastards in general. And because my starter culture a couple weeks ago probably got about that hot, and the little beasts were freaking loving it! (And I had to clean up after their little party sent raging kräusen all over my coffee table! Inconsiderate jerks!)

Even if your yeast didn't die with apartment temps in the 90's, I would. That's no way to live, man!

It's less than ideal, but I don't spend much time in my apartment in the summer, and it's only that bad for a couple weeks most years. Hey, I used to have it worse - I used to live in Phoenix with a hippie roommate who thought air conditioning was bad for the environment!

Oh, the yeast will *definitely* survive in the nineties!

The question is whether it will stress out and do weird things. It would definitely stress out in the fermentation phase. At this phase... I doubt it. I really doubt it highly. *I* think you'll be just fine. But you'll probably want to read up from people who know and/or have experience.

I used to live in Phoenix with a hippie roommate who thought air conditioning was bad for the environment!

Sounds like the environment was bad enough to begin with. You can hardly make Phoenix environment worse.

Given that yeast is often rehydrated at 100F, you're fine on temperature. In fact, it is my understanding that yeast don't die until temperatures around 130F are achieved . . . not that I would ever push it that far . . .

As for the aging, I don't think it will be too bad. But remember that, generally speaking, you don't want to age much above room temperature either. I've never seen a reason WHY that is said, because it's clear most people understand that the "off flavors" produced by the yeast at higher temperatures are only produced during fermentation . . . but that's the general logic :)

Wow, temps up to 95 and no A/C? I'd call the landlord before worrying about aging my beer :confused:

Seriously, I would look for other alternatives to age it. Do any of your neighbors have working A/C? That would be my first prerogative outside of getting my own A/C working. If a neighbor has a nice, cool apartment; just ask them if you can stick the beer in their closet. Explain that it isn't dangerous and won't give off any horrible smells (unless you put it in there before fermentation is done). I would not experiment with 95+ temps and aging unless you want to try it just for $hits and grins.

Belgian Saison. The Dupont strain does not mind the heat. In fact some strains will poop out when about 75% done, then wake up a couple weeks later to finish the job. I just did one, primary ferm at about 80, then let sit in hot summer garage for a few weeks. Got up to 90-95. Turned out awesome.

Belgian Saison. The Dupont strain does not mind the heat. In fact some strains will poop out when about 75% done, then wake up a couple weeks later to finish the job. I just did one, primary ferm at about 80, then let sit in hot summer garage for a few weeks. Got up to 90-95. Turned out awesome.

I'm already planning to do this the first week of August! :mug:

Ya know. Just do it and don't ask our permission.

Haha, I'm leaning toward that at the moment! Just gotta figure out what I want to brew.

When fall comes, I'm going to do a KBS clone. Then I'll definitely do everything by the books, get every detail right. I'm planning to age it in my friend's basement, which stays chilly in the winter.

But for now, I just wanna brew some stuff and drink it!

Basic brewing radio did a show or two about this. I forget the details but at high enough temps the beer did not taste as good. Makes sense that many of he desired flavor compounds will break down faster at higher temps. Also there's always a few bacteria in your beer and if you age at high temp they're more likely to hurt your beer.

Latest posts

Back