Aging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caliper

Reaction score
So, I've got various attempted fruit wines in bulk aging right now. What I'm wondering is at they have been in there many months and are no longer dropping lees. Once I bottle them, do I age an additional 6 months in bottle, or do I count the time aging in bulk? I know, longer is better, but I want to know when to crack that first bottle! :mug:

After bottling, the wine must sit a few months to get over bottle shock. Time is time, so a year iin a carboy = a year in the bottle.

At least to some winemakers, as in all things wine there are those that have different opinions about bottle vs.bulk.

So, what are some of the typical arguments for bottle vs bulk aging?

To overcome bottle shock, is a few months about two then? How does one know when the wine is over its shock?

Bottle shock does not happen to every wine, as a matter of fact, I believe that I've had it happen once or twice, and I make a good deal of wine every year.
I typically let mine sit a few weeks when I rack from barrel to demijohn, then another few weeks after I bottle. I bulk aged for at least a year or more depending on the wine, I prefer to do the bulk of aging my reds in barrels, and whites in carboys or demijohns. I usually wait a few weeks before bottling and taste the wine several times before bottling, this gives me time to test the wine one last time to make sure the wine is ready to bottle and that it doesn't need any more adjusting.
One of the main reasons to age wines prior to bottling is to make sure all chemical reactions have completed. If wine is bottled while fermentation is still happening, this can be alcoholic or Malolactic - I've had more than one wine go through MLF without really seeing any indication of MLF underway and only by doing a chromatography test did I find the wine to still be going through MLF, for a new wine maker it is easy to miss any signs of MLF, or any other process that might be underway, you’ll end up with a sparkling wine at best, or a potentially nasty (and explosive) wine if the wild yeast or MLB is a bad strain. Carbon dioxide created during fermentation has to go somewhere, if you have the wine bulk aging with a stopper and airlock, the CO2 can escape through the air lock, if you have it bottled and corked, the CO2 has no where to go, creating a very unstable bottle - trust me when I tell you from experience, it is a dangerous spot to be in!

I hope that this helps

Back