Aging in plastic Big Mouth Bubbler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lookwow

Reaction score
So for Christmas my in-laws misheard me and got me the plastic version and not the glass. I was planning on using it for aging sours. Could i use the plastic one or is that a bad idea?

Yeah, from what I've read, the glass ones break if you look at them wrong. Stitches anyone?

I have several non-big mouth bubblers. Likely the same plastic. I've aged a barleywine in one for close to nine months and didn't notice any ill effect vs. my batches that I aged in glass.

I don't know how well oxidation and sours go together, but I have one each of the plastic and the glass Big Mouth Bubblers and they don't seem to seal so well. I can keep the Bubblers bubbling during primary fermentation by re-tightening frequently, but I'd personally use one of my little mouths for any extended aging.

Yeah, from what I've read, the glass ones break if you look at them wrong. Stitches anyone?

I have several non-big mouth bubblers. Likely the same plastic. I've aged a barleywine in one for close to nine months and didn't notice any ill effect vs. my batches that I aged in glass.

Well yes, two lacerations one 6 stitches and one 4 stitches on my wrist. Very expensive fermentor! Go plastic and use a little keg lube or food safe lube to seal lid, works great.

Well yes, two lacerations one 6 stitches and one 4 stitches on my wrist. Very expensive fermentor! Go plastic and use a little keg lube or food safe lube to seal lid, works great. Now have 3 BMB a plastic 6.5 gal and 2 BMB 5 gal.

Well yes, two lacerations one 6 stitches and one 4 stitches on my wrist. Very expensive fermentor! Go plastic and use a little keg lube or food safe lube to seal lid, works great. Now have 3 BMB a plastic 6.5 gal and 2 BMB 5 gal.

Back