Aging in Bottles - how long is too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hornet

Reaction score
I'm definitely seeing the benefits of being patient and letting my brews age in bottles for several weeks as it improves the flavor and overall smoothness / drinkability. But at what point does it get to the point where it becomes detrimental? How long is too long?

It really depends on the style. Big, dark beers, like Robust Porters, Stouts, and Barleywines can actually improve with age. Age, as in years. Pale beers, especially hoppy styles, tend to lose flavor and aroma more quickly, mostly due to the effects of oxidation, which the bottling process contributes to.

So, if you brew a big Stout, put a few bottles in the back of the fridge and drink one on the anniversary of the brew day every year to see how the beer changes. If you brew an IPA or NEIPA, invite a few folks over a month or so after you started drinking that batch to use up what’s left before it’s too late. :cool:

Any porter or stout I make doesn't hit peak flavor for at least six weeks. They're good in the bottle at least six months.

I just made a mild. Interested to see how it ages.

Light beers and beers with lots of flavor and aroma hops don't do as well. They lose the hops character pretty quick.

Thank you all for the replies. I know where I stand with the stout and porters I've brewed.

What about these others?

1. Cream of three crops cream ale: Bottled 8 weeks ago. I am actively consuming this but still have a lot in my fruit cellar where it's constant 53 degrees and dark. Any benefit to holding some back to age?

2. American Brown Ale - Pete's Wicked Ale Clone. Been a little over 5 weeks since bottling it's still sitting out at room temp, not being consumed as yet

3. Dortmunder Style Export Lager. Still lagering in refrigerator yet to be bottled. Thoughts on aging this?

You open one every few weeks and up until the one beer that does take worse then the one last time, you are not past peak.

Next time you brew the same recipe, you'll know! Sorry, but there's no other way....

If course a coarse generalisation is possible like, hoppy ones only a few weeks, stronger ones for multiple months, darker ones longer then pale ones.... But the correct amount of time can only be checked by trial and error.

Latest posts

Back