Aggressive Fermentation, Need Help ASAP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirefightingBrewer

Reaction score
So I have a brew that's going nutty in the fermentor, it's blown the top off my fermentation bucket twice. After the first lid release, I put a blow-off tube into a jug of water, but it appears that the kraussen is clogging the airlock I have in place prior to the blow-off tube? What can I do to keep the nasties out, yet keep the airlock from becoming clogged?

Yeah we've got it set at about 68 degrees. I think I may have resolved my issue. I modified the air lock, by cutting the tip off which has allowed for the krausen and hops to pass through the airlock and into the blow-off tube. Thanks ChefRex...I did exactly that and things seem to be working great!

I have done a hundred plus beers and never have I seen this type of fermentation. Crazy!

I'd just leave the bucket lid cracked a tiny bit.... for a day, if you can't get blowoff tubing to work. No explosions, no cleaning and with the positive pressure within the fermentor, little risk of contamination.... just keep yohr kids and their grubby hands away from it. Reinstall the airlock in a day or two when the krausen is less crazy

It's actually an Octoberfest using Wyeast 1007 German Ale.

I use 1007 quite a bit and it tends to be vigorous. I just did a wheat ale using 1007 and the starter went crazy and spewed out the top of a 1 liter flask. One day after pitching, it came through the airlock and made a mess. It was 5 gallons in 7.3 gallon SS conical, so there was plenty of headspace. I'm getting a blow off tube next time. Despite it all the beer came out great.

Get yourself some FermCap. It's a food-safe additive that kills foam, so it's good both in the boil and in the fermentor. It'll drop out after the ferment is done, so you don't have to worry about it getting into your beer, and it'll save you many, many headaches.

Back