Ageing Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonToews

Reaction score
Just wondering, Some people say age barleywine in the refrigerator, others say in a dark closet. I've been ageing this in the fridge for a while now, Should I pick up a new bottle or is it ok.

jt.jpg

Cheers

Jason

It's fine, but I prefer to age in a cool, dark closet or basement. Keeping it in the fridge certainly won't hurt a thing, though.

I bottled my batch of MW's Bigfoot Barleywine last week, after it had napped in the secondary for 3.5 months. It's still sitting upstairs where the temperatures are warmer; next week I'll put it in the basement (which runs about 60F during the cold months), and I expect it'll condition just fine. I don't know when that'll be, since this is my first batch of barleywine. Maybe by Christmas, maybe by Spring or ???

No joke there I was this morning driving to work.....

Listening to an episode of Brew Strong. This very question came up (storing beer) and the response from the guest PHD was this.
Store it cold (as cold as possible above freezing) and avoid temprature swings as every swing will complete one cycle towards the accelerated breakdown of the beer.

This is further justification to take the concrete stoarge room in my new house and throw a will insulated door on with a room AC wired to it.....

Hope this helps,

Loptr

To be safe you should send me the bottle. One can never be too cautious.:ban:

Back