• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Aged hops for lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loodachris

12th man loud and proud!
Reaction score
Looking at trying to make a lambic and every recipe calls for aged hops. I assume it's tett or something but i'm sure anyone that makes lambics know what kind is needed. Not looking for much since I brew on a Pico Brew but maybe enough for a few batches.

IMHO, find the lowest alpha hop you can (<2%) and use it instead. Ones like strisselspalt, serebianka, celia are often at these low levels.

As for aged hops, any low-moderate AA hop that has been stored at room temp or above for a couple years would suffice. Aged noble hops would be ideal but are harder to come by here. Aged US noble-variant are good as well (willamette, santiam, mt hood, cascade, etc).

Then there's the option of baking hops at a low heat setting for a period of time to reduce the AA and artificially age them. Never done it and don't know the temp/time you'd use.

Thanks for that warning, stpug. I'd hate to point someone somewhere, and steer them that badly wrong. Bitter hops in a Lambic? :eek:

agreed. No need to buy aged hops. Hell, I can sell you "premium Kentucky-aged" hops my friend. And by that, I mean spare hops that have been poorly stored around my apartment and have I havent used because they have likely lost all aroma and much of their bitterness. And, at this point, I might even not charge you and cover the shipping just to not look at them anymore.

even with fresh hops, using a tiny bit of any noble-ish variety will work. My point is, buying actual "aged" hops is just stupid

Thanks for all the help. I'll just pick up a little low alpha hops and start my lambic tomorrow with the push of a button on my Picobrew :)

A word of warning on the HopsDirect aged/debittered hops: They are quite bitter

Sorry for bringing this back form the dead, but I saw somewhere that Hops Direct claims they tested their debittered hops at 0% AA. Do you have any more information on this?

Back