Aged Brown Shugga Vertical Tasting Pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

campbellmike

Reaction score
Anybody seen these? My wife and I were at a local retailer and they were selling them limit one per person so we bought two six packs. They are one of two local outlets that get the limited stuff and were able to get 3 cases.

20150117_080000.jpg

20150117_080008.jpg

Started with the 2013 last night. It's lost most of the hops and smoothed out quite a bit compared to a fresh bottle. More complex and starting to taste like a barleywine. Very nice sipper with a slight alcohol bite. As it was late in our evening at 9.9% we wimped out and decided to wait to try the others.

Tried the current (2014) then the 2012 followed by the 2010.

2014 Nice and hoppy with a nice sweetness
2012 Hops are gone, very smooth and more complex. Very nice 'barleywine'.
2010 Past it's prime, getting some oxidation.

So, based on my very unscientific analysis. I suggest Brown Shugga can be aged 1 -2, possible up to 3 years but no more. This is a fun pack and I'm glad we found them. We have enough to do this tasting three more times. If I get other results with other bottles I'll post an update. Cheers!:mug:

Psshh...I age that beer all the time. I buy a 12 pack every year and just tuck it away. Do a vertical every year. Love the way it ages. I often describe it as "getting dirty" as the years past. Rustic, oxidized awesomeness.

Back