AG to PM recipe conversion headache

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonescole

Reaction score
How far off is my conversion to partial mash? (please refer to recipe below)

I am hoping to mash as much grain as I can using a 15 quart pot on the stove, I believe 5-6 lbs will fit quite easily in that.

4.75 Belgian Pilsner halved to 2.5 lbs BP 2 row
3.00 White Wheat Malt Halved to 1.5 lbs
2.5 Flaked wheat halved 1.25 lbs

I figure I would need 3.8 lbs of LME to make up for the rest of the grain, 5.1 lbs grain left over X .75 = 3.8 LME, and then follow the rest of the recipe as is using partial mash and a late extract addition. However, since I have read everything I can find on the subject of the AG to PM recipe conversion and it has only given me a headache I am doubting that my conversion is in anyway correct. Plus I have no idea what LME to choose to substitute for the left over grain…in other words I am completely lost here and need some help. I have searched for a simplified conversion explanation, but can’t find one…any links, input, or verbal abuse is welcomed….I just want to make sure I get this right.

Thanks!

(original recipe)
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: White Labs Belgian Wit Ale WLP400
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.010
Boiling Time (Minutes): 50
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Tasting Notes: The best kit beer I have ever made. Even better than their Blue Moon Clone.

Ingredients

4.75 lb Belgian Pilsner (2 Row)
3.00 lb White Wheat Malt
2.5 lb Flaked Wheat

0.50 oz Cascade (7.5%) (30min)
0.50 oz Cascade (7.5%) (5 min)
0.50 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 15.0 min)
0.50 oz Coriander Seed, Crushed (Boil 15.0 min)
1 Pkg Belgian Wit Ale (White Labs #WLP400)

Mash Schedule:
Single Infusion
Total Grain Weight (lb's)--10.25

Mash In:
4.0 gallons strike at 163 F to obtain 152 F 60 min
Mash Out:
3.0 Gallons at 172 F for 15 min

This recipe from a kit from AHB I think, but they only sem to offer a 2.5 lb partial mash kit and the majority is extract. I want to get the majority grain and the minority extract…or at least a ½ and ½ thing going.

One thing to be aware of, wheat LME isn't 100% wheat, it's generally ~65% wheat and 35% barley. You'll need to figure that in when substituting. In this case, then, if you're taking out all 3 lb of wheat malt, you would take out ~1.5 lb of the 2 row. 4.5 lb * .75 = 3.375 lb wheat malt extract. That would leave you with the 2.5 lb flaked wheat and 3.25 lb of 2 row, which should be plenty to convert. That's a lot of flaked wheat, so rice hulls are a must, IMO.

One thing to be aware of, wheat LME isn't 100% wheat, it's generally ~65% wheat and 35% barley. You'll need to figure that in when substituting. In this case, then, if you're taking out all 3 lb of wheat malt, you would take out ~1.5 lb of the 2 row. 4.5 lb * .75 = 3.375 lb wheat malt extract. That would leave you with the 2.5 lb flaked wheat and 3.25 lb of 2 row, which should be plenty to convert. That's a lot of flaked wheat, so rice hulls are a must, IMO.

OK that makes sense, I guess some of that reading did sink in. Since I plan on using a nylon grain bag and use the stove top partial mashing with pics method I would be ok to take the rice hulls out right?

You could possibly leave out the rice hulls, but I would still put them in there. Even with the BIAB method, the grist needs to be loose enough for water to move through it. If water can't get through it to rinse, you're leaving sugar in that area. It's not as critical as using a mash tun, because you can't get a stuck sparge, but it can have an effect on efficiency.

You could possibly leave out the rice hulls, but I would still put them in there. Even with the BIAB method, the grist needs to be loose enough for water to move through it. If water can't get through it to rinse, you're leaving sugar in that area. It's not as critical as using a mash tun, because you can't get a stuck sparge, but it can have an effect on efficiency.

Ok so I went to my LHBS today and here is what I got for the recipe:

honey wheat
November 19, 2009

Category Belgian and French Ale
Subcategory Witbier
Recipe Type Partial Mash
Batch Size 5 gal.
Volume Boiled 3 gal.
Mash Efficiency 70 %
Total Grain/Extract 10.80 lbs.
Total Hops 1.0 oz.
Calories (12 fl. oz.) 245.2
Cost to Brew $42.13 (USD)
Cost per Bottle (12 fl. oz.) $0.79 (USD)

3.5 lbs. Belgian Pils
1.5 lbs. Belgian Wheat Malt
3.3 lbs. CBW® Bavarian Wheat Liquid (Malt Extract)
1.50 lbs. Wheat Flaked
1.0 lbs. Honey
0.5 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 7.5 %AA) boiled 30 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 7.5 %AA) boiled 5 min.
Yeast : White Labs WLP400 Belgian Wit Ale

Predicted Witbier Compliance
Original Gravity 1.062 1.044 - 1.052 0 %
Terminal Gravity 1.012 1.008 - 1.012 92 %
Color 5.06 °SRM 2.00 - 4.00 °SRM 47 %
Bitterness 9.6 IBU 10.00 - 20.00 IBU 96 %
Alcohol (%volume) 6.5 % 4.50 - 5.50 % 1 %
47 % overall

Apparent Real
Original Extract 15.12 °Plato 15.12 °Plato

Attenuation 79.2 % 64.1 %

Extract 3.15 °Plato 5.43 °Plato

% Weight % Volume
Alcohol 5.1 % 6.5 %

Because I am such a noob when it comes to making a recipe I need help taking out, or adding anything that you all may think will help me make this recipe drinkable. I am looking to mash as much grain as I possibly can in a 15 quart pot, so I went heavy on the Pils, but again I relied on my LHBS and what I have read. I am looking to do a late addition for the extract and put the honey in at flame out, or 10 minutes before to pasteurize it. The ABV seems really high, but i am assuming that is because I have too much grain/extract and honey going in. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back