AG is the $#!+!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hou_me

Reaction score
I've done a half dozen or so extract batches, but finally did my first all grain this evening. It took way longer than I expected, missed my OG by 05, and I have to get up in a few hours for work... all I can say is it was a helluva good night! All Grain is t!+s!!

G'night

-ben

05 is no big deal on your first AG. Cheers! it's a big step, but a fun one. Things will get quicker too, I can usually knock out a homebrew AG in 4hrs if I want to hurry. That's 8hrs on the big system, so I wish I could do more.

4 hours? DAmn I am slow. Takes me at least 6 with setup and tear down/ cleaning. I need to get more organized.

6 is pretty average. After you establish a flow, it should come down. I BIAB with a sparge and am in bed after 4.5 every time, but it's all about priorities. I don't drink while brewing usually but typically enjoy a hot scotchie or four.

Yeah, I wasn't too worried about missing my first one by 05. I started the mash about 5:30 and got it in the fermenter a sometime after 10:00 or 10:30. It was a ton of fun! I'm already planning another session for tomorrow.:)

My buddy and I have fined tuned out schedule to get it done pretty quick. But that includes 3 mash tuns, 3 kettles, and four propane burners. I think we cranked out a batch all chilled in just under 3 hours

Stuff I do to save myself some time on brew days is to get my equipment out and set up the day before in addition to weighing out the hops separated into sandwich bags with what time they get thrown into the boil written on them. I also weigh out all of my water additives and add them to my mash water that I put into two of my Ale Pails. That usually only takes 30 minutes and keeps my brew days around 4 hours beginning to end if I clean as I go along.

zzARzz said:
Stuff I do to save myself some time on brew days is to get my equipment out and set up the day before in addition to weighing out the hops separated into sandwich bags with what time they get thrown into the boil written on them. I also weigh out all of my water additives and add them to my mash water that I put into two of my Ale Pails. That usually only takes 30 minutes and keeps my brew days around 4 hours beginning to end if I clean as I go along.

Same here. I set up everything the night before, including putting the right amount if water in the kettle. When I wake up, all I have to do is turn the burner on and I'm on my way. It also allows me to have coffee and a hearty breakfast while the water is heating up, which, for me, is one of the most important things to make the morning go smoothly.

2-1/2 hours into my first 3 vessel AG batch and I'm loving it. And hour to go to get into the fermenter and I'll have some BEER! Woo hoo. This is fun.

2-1/2 hours into my first 3 vessel AG batch and I'm loving it. And hour to go to get into the fermenter and I'll have some BEER! Woo hoo. This is fun.

I found going to a 3 vessel system more fun as well, just built a 3 tier stand for brewing and convenient storage to make my brew days so much more fun.

Congrats on your inaugural AG brewday!

6 here too. But when I brew I have no worries in my world. Just relax and do my thing, I enjoy the extra time it takes

+1. I go like hell all day everyday, work, family, house upkeep, etc, etc. Brewing is the one thing that I make a point out of NOT trying to hurry.

Thanks 501irishred!

So far I've enjoyed every aspect of brewing. I don't even mind washing bottles too much, though that is my least favorite part.

-ben

I've done a half dozen or so extract batches, but finally did my first all grain this evening. ... all I can say is it was a helluva good night! All Grain is t!+s!!
-ben

Hi Ben - Yep, AG is fun. I find the long AG process is more satisfying than extract. OTOH, extract is great when you want to relax a bit more.
-Doug

Latest posts

Back