AG Average Brew Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4 to 4 1/2 hr with single infusion mash, double batch sparge and 60 min boil w/ propane.
this includes cleanup- if you clean and utilize your free time well during mash and boil, then the brewday doesn't seem to take nearly as long from start to finish. since i just built a hop strainer to sit in my brewpot, i'm looking forward to not having to whirlpool. i'm expecting as good as 3 1/2 hrs next brewday *joy*

3 hours and 15 minutes consistently. The first thing I do is start my water heating, then weigh and mill grains. When I'm done the only thing left to do is clean my CFC and boil kettle. That's for 5 gallon batches

4 to 5 hours for me. 5 gallons batches, 2.5 gallon test batches seem faster though.

About 6 hours from heating up strike water on stove to cleaning up kitchen after the chill and pitch. I actually prefer the longer time it takes for me. The more time I spend brewing the better.

From the time I start pulling equipment out to after I've sanitized and put away, 4-4.5 Hrs for a 6 Gal batch. Single infusion, double batch sparge, 60 min boil - brewhouse efficiency is 78%.

I usually try to sanitize everything as I get finished with it along the way. Shortest brew session ever was 3.5 hrs

4 hours if I am not distracted or doing something else (baking, cooking etc. which often happens), and around 41/2-5 if I am

It took me 6 hours on the nose on Sunday from strike water heating to cleaning the last piece of equipment. However, this brew had its last hop addition 60 min. before the end, so I could have cleaned then since boil over was not an issue any longer. But, I had to put training wheels on the son's new bike. So, maybe I could have reduced it to 5.5 hours for this brew. But, 5 or 6 or 7, what is the difference. Block out the day and have fun.

I have been surprised (being new to this forum), that so many are doing 60 min. boils only. I'll have to search through to find some threads about that (don't want to hijack this one).

I always do two ten gallon batches when I brew. From the time I walk out to the garage to start setting up to the time I pull the last vehicle back in and close the door is between 8-9 hours. I've never gone over 9 hours.

Well... brewed AG for the first time yesterday and time from alarm going off to I sat down w/clean up being done... 9 hours. LOL! I know this will get better as I learn. I also didn't want to rush the process and really took my time... had a slow sparge (probably nearly stuck but it trickled so I went with it), etc. 9 hours will be worth it all in experience and hopefully a great IPA.

I just did one in 4 hours. Would've been quicker if my gas stove worked a little better!

Edit:
It took some time getting my mash water up to temperature.
60 min. mash.
15-minute single-batch sparge.
It took a LONG time to get my wort boiling.
60 min. boil.

5-6, batch sparger.

wish it were less. i usually don't plan very well and end up having to do some cleaning before i start tho.

5 hours or so. I use the stove for mash water, and the burner for the boil. Could be much quicker if I used the propane for everything, but its expensive.

I usually have tons to do while the strike water is heating though, (like wash fermenters and such)

Takes me just enough time to really enjoy the process and while away some time on a weekend. Guess that means from 4 to 6 hours, depending on how focused I am. I just enjoy the time and SWMBO has learned it's my "keep hubby happy" time.

Yes, I do 17.5 gallon batches, I use an 84 quart Coleman cooler for mash tun, keggle for the HLT, and a 24.5 gallon stainless kettle for the boil.:mug:

That's very cool..I'd love to see pics of your setup all set up.

About 6 - 7 hours. I could do it in 4 if I had a dedicated HLT burner and was more organized about it. As it is I usually have an hour wasted somewhere along the line running around like the nutty professor looking for the hydrometer that I stuck in my pocket...

I did my first AG from getting the "tools" out, to final clean up took just over 4 hours. Batch sparged a 6 gallon run of American Wheat. I even had to run and get the 40 lb LP tank refilled, good thing it's only 5 minutes from the house. I did it right after I heated up the sparge water, and while the grains were still mashing.

Only on my fourth AG batch but seam to be right at 5.5 hours from when I enter the brew house until everything is cleaned and put away. That's for 6 gallons with a double batch sparge, 90 min boil, and whirlpooling with a 15 - 30 min rest.

I'm right at 5 hours for everything for a 10 gallon batch. I enjoy everything but the clean up :)

6 hours from walking into the garage to putting the carboys in the house.
10-12 gallon batches.

(does not include stuck sparge or stuck run-off into fermentors.)

I'm similar to most - ~5.5 hours from start to finish.

and by start I mean grab all of the **** out of the shed, brew, and by finish I mean clean everything up and put it away.

6 hours from walking into the garage to putting the carboys in the house.
10-12 gallon batches.

(does not include stuck sparge or stuck run-off into fermentors.)

Exactly my time frame. However, last weekend, I brewed a 5.5 gallon batch at avanhemert's house(a member here), and I was done in 4 hours. Of course, It does take less time to heat smaller amounts of water and wort, and I also batch sparged for the first time, so that knocked some time off.

Hard to say exactly because I usually crack grain the night before and clean up the day after. I also no chill for most brews recently which cuts some time out.

Additionally some brews might use a 90 minute mash. Let's say between 4-6 hours average. I get a few other things done at the same time (ranging from bottling to shopping).

I typically do ~75 minute mash + 90-120min boils... takes me around 6 hours. If I did 60/60 I could be done in around 5 with cleanup.

My most recent one took 6 hours. It was around 35°F outside and took simply forever each time to get mash water, and two rounds of sparge water forever to get to temps.

Back