Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jro16

Reaction score
The last few posts have talked about Aeration. Why do this? My first three Kits did not mention this, and I can't recall reading this in Papazian's book.

Fermentation seemed to be pretty vigorous on all (3)???

Aeration helps the yeast mutiply after you pitch it. It there are not enough yeast, they may die off before they are done fermenting all the malt, resulting in a stuck fermentation. for this reason, the higher the OG the more important aeration is.

Aeration leads to healthy yeast, which can give you a more complete fermentation as well as reduce off flavors produced by stressed yeast. While you can get away without it in lower gravity ales, it's rather necessary for higher gravity ales and lagers.

Simply put, aeration = more yeast = :)

Then you didn't read Papazian's book. He definitely mentions it.

Yeast need oxygen to survive is the short answer. If you had vigorous ferments, then you probably did aeratre to some extent. More probably would have been better, allowing for healthier yeast and fermentation.

The list of stupid things kits will and won't tell you to do could fill volumes. You're better off moving beyond them as soon as possible by getting a recipe book or getting a recipe off the web. Then use DME, liquid yeast and whole hops. You'll like the improvement.

Cheers :D

Sure as sh#@, it does. Page 107. Thanks Janx:)

One thing I have not been doing, but will. It also says the cold tap water added to hot wort may already contain dissolved oxygen, that must have been my saving grace.

You are right though, I do need to branch out.

Another point. Most kits come with a pack of dried yeast under the lid. (Always throw that pack away and purchase a fresh package). I don't think dried yeast requires the oxygenation like liquid yeast does. From what I remember from the times I pitched dry yeast it always started very fast. Something to do with how the yeast is processed when it is dried.
I think those kit beers in the can try to make the process as easy as possible. As home brewers we have the option of making it easy as possible or adding a few steps to the process to make better beer. As a matter of fact, we all have varying degrees of involvement in beer making. While I like AG brewing there are plenty of home brewers that think AG is too much trouble and are happy doing extract. The bottom line- Brew in a way that helps you enjoy the hobby. If you want to aerate the wort, go for it. If not Relax, don't worry......

One thing nobody mentioned was using your sink sprayer. I've done this a couple times, first pouring the cooled wort in the primary. Next, I clean/sanitize the brewpot and fill it up with the sink sprayer, then dump the aerated water onto the wort and pitch. Works like a charm, even though I may have started a debate over whether to sanitize the tap water or not (I haven't had any probs.)...

WOT

Back