Aeration thought...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiquidAthlete

Reaction score
As I was brewing my latest batch, I had made my first starter off my new stir plate I had made. As I pitched the starter the stir bar went in with it. I wasn't worried about it as I figured i would just get it out at clean up time. As I was shaking to airate I thought why not find a way of using the stir bar. I'm sure some one has thought this through and can tell me if putting my fermentor on a stirplate will do any good.

Thanks again for some great info everyone.

There are stirplates on this forum that are built for carboys, however that's not what they are for. Stirplates help to keep yeast in suspension, not aerate the wort. Right? Someone chime in if I'm talking outta my @$$ again.

If I'm not mistaken stir plates are for keeping the yeast in suspension while providing a good continuous source of oxygen. The cone from the whirlpool sucks in air and mixes it with the wort. Just like using a paint mixer on a power drill. You would need a huge stir bar and plate to do that though. Maybe an old record player turntable - Don't know if that would hae enough torque though.

ok thanks for the input. It seemed a little far out there. I might try it some day when I can put together a special stir plate.

Back