Aeration of Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been looking at a number of articles on the subject. Appears the yeast like 8-10% O2 for normal beers and more for bigger beers.

So the question is.. short of having an O2 flow meter. How long should one oxygenate the wort using O2 (rather than air) with a 2 micron sintered filter?

I usually do 1 minute. Others I've seen say 30 sec, others go 2 to 20 minutes.

One article I read said too much O2 can actually kill the yeast as well as other beasties.

Help?

I do a minute of pure O2 per 11 gallons of wort - works great! There are some nice threads around discussing O2 usage (time/method/results)...

i have to say i would love to see an experiment where a split batch is divided in several fermentors and they have different aeration/oxygenation treatment (nothing, splashing, aquarium pump, pure 02 for different time ect) then measured disolved O2 and fermented with split starter and run through big group of blind testing. Till then we can say whatever we want and i wont be convinced one method is better than other

Been looking at a number of articles on the subject. Appears the yeast like 8-10% O2 for normal beers and more for bigger beers.

So the question is.. short of having an O2 flow meter. How long should one oxygenate the wort using O2 (rather than air) with a 2 micron sintered filter?

I usually do 1 minute. Others I've seen say 30 sec, others go 2 to 20 minutes.

One article I read said too much O2 can actually kill the yeast as well as other beasties.

Help?

1 min with > 1.060
2 min with < 1.080

Back