Aeration During fermantation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DudeBrew

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to run a fish air tank through a filtered line and an aeration stone while your fermenting? I have seen and herd about this and was wondering about its effectiveness.

I suspect it would be very effective at increasing diacetyl formation and speeding oxidation of your beer; wouldn't recommend it. Rule of thumb: once fermentation starts keep aeration/oxygenation to a minimum.

If you mean using it as a means of aerating your wort PRIOR to fermentation, that's a different story. I could list several pros and cons, but have no personal experience so will leave that to others.

Do not aerate your beer during fermentation! A sanitary aeration technique (usually just a good shake of your fermenter will do the trick) done just as you are pitching is good, after that it is not good.

All of that is true if you are talking about low to medium gravity beer. High gravity beer and wines/meads need oxygen.

The only think I've read about the aquarium stones is they are difficult to sanitize, but otherwise work perfectly well.

Other than that, I have no personal experience (except having aquariums).

Back