Aeration and Repitching question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brounds24

Reaction score
I recently was teaching my brother in law to homebrew this weekend. I was making 3 different beer Octoberfest, Foreign Extra Stout, and a Porter. I made the Octoberfest while he made the porter and he followed me step by step. All is well with those two brews. However on the stout, I had him try it on his own giving him tips as he went and reminding him of steps. While running the wort chiller I reminded him to aerate the wort before pitching the yeast. Well he forgot to do this step and the stout is showing no sign of fermentation. I ask him what the OG reading was and he doesnt know where he wrote the information down at (great plug for those of you who dont own a brewing app, this is a handy reason to get one) and he called me today asking what is wrong. I don't know what to tell him. Its been 44+hours and their is no sign of fermentation (fermenting in a glass carboy and pitched S-04 packet). The yeast was rehydrate for about 7-10 minutes before pitching. My told him it was fine and not to worry until 72 hours, but is there anything else I can tell him. I feel bad because this is his first brewing experience and I stepped out during the chilling, aerating, pitching process to catch the end of the football game. Thanks for the help!

From the Danstar Catalog & Technical Info: “There is no need to aerate wort when pitching with dry yeast. Due to a specific growth process, dry yeast already contains sterols and unsaturated fatty acids in the cell membranes and is ready to divide without any additional oxygen. However, if the yeast is reused, oxygenation will be required to ensure cell division.” I don't know that I completely agree, but it doesn't seem like lack of aeration would cause a complete failure. Since this was a "learning batch", there might have been some other problem - maybe rehydrating the yeast in very hot water, or something else.

I never aerated before it became a hot topic lately.I never had a single issue.Now I aerate because it cant hurt.I wouldn't worry yet.S04 seems to take a few days to take off for me but then finishes rather quickly..I just pitched some 04 an hour ago (reused yeast) Ill post back when I see signs.Dont forget just because you don't see any action don't mean fermentation hasn't begun
If your looking for something to tell him the word would be RELAX it'll all come together and will be a good beer

Edit: did you rehydrate at correct temp water? I've never rehydrated dry yeast,seems like another place for something to go wrong that's debatable whether it does any good.

So what the deal ???
Any action?
After 24 hours I have airlock activity.By now you should have activity its been around 60 hours?

Some bigger beers sometimes have an extended lag time, especially if not aerated. But, I'd think by now you'd see something. He forgot to jot down OG, forgot to aerate --- are you sure he also didn't forget to pitch yeast? Or possibly a leaky seal on the fermenter?

I would guess a leaky seal, I told him to check the seals. Still no signs, I primed him a hydrometer and tube yesterday so he can check it hopefully tomorrow

What temp was the water used to rehydrate the yeast? If that was too hot, or like you say, a seal might be leaking, that could explain the absence of airlock activity.

Extra aeration can be done until krausen starts to subside, though I wouldn't be pushing pure oxygen through every 2 (or even 10) hours. The fermentation vessels can be (carefully) shaken or swirled around, which could add extra oxygen and/or degas carbon dioxide (something that should be visible, plenty of foam) if fermentation has kicked off.

That stout probably has a high gravity, creating a less than ideal environment for the yeast. If an even halfway decent number of living cells made it in there it should ferment, but the taste might be a little weird.

Hydro arrived today at his house however tube and beer thief will arrive tomorrow, finger crossed it's just a bad seal, it's been in the primary for 4.5 days now (5.5 tomorrow) so hopefully we are sitting at a 1.025 or below reading

Back