Aeration Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLBrooks

Reaction score
The more I read the more I realize I might not being getting enough oxygen into my wort before I pitch the yeast. I typically hand stir for 3-5 minutes but am unsure of the amount of oxygen that gets in.

I think I'm going to start using an airstone for my beer, so.......

1) Will any style of airstone work (I use a 10" bar type for mead and it works like a champ)

2) Do I need to pull air through a "bong" type setup to sanitize the air. I don't do this for mead, and I wouldn't think I need to do it for beer, but questions are free so why not ask.

Thanks guys

Any sanitized stone will work, stainless steel is probably preferred but not absolutely necessary. Most people use an inline sanitary filter to keep the air 'sterile'. I picked up an oxygen system from Williams Brewing (I think) and a $7 oxygen welding tank. It works pretty well.

I'd recommend a SS stone. They can last indefinitely and can be sterilized by heat I am pretty sure. An air pump is maybe better than nothing, but in order to get the full effect a cheap O2 bottle is not very expensive.

If that's not on your shopping list, A good shake, or dropping the wort from a few feet is better than nothing. I have gotten good results doing this so far. I drop my wort through a screen on top of the bucket.

For what its worth I just used a stainless steel stone attached to a ss wand yesterday for the first time. I did plenty research on this site and others concerning aquarium pump vs 02 welding tank. From what I found using the aquarium pump you need the filter since your just pumping in "air", but going the 02 tank route your safe to not need a filter since the gas should be sterile.
It was a pretty cool process as I "dosed" 2 bouts of 30 seconds. Not sure if that was enough or not but heard with the 02 tank you can do less because your pumping in pure O2 or you could use the pump and do it for 20-30 mins prior to pitching because its not pure O2.

Homercidal said:
I'd recommend a SS stone. They can last indefinitely and can be sterilized by heat I am pretty sure. An air pump is maybe better than nothing, but in order to get the full effect a cheap O2 bottle is not very expensive.

If that's not on your shopping list, A good shake, or dropping the wort from a few feet is better than nothing. I have gotten good results doing this so far. I drop my wort through a screen on top of the bucket.

I have been getting good results just picking up the whole kettle and pouring it in like you say. A lot of fine bubbles everywhere. Thats what we are looking for I would guess.

What all do you need and where can you get it cheaply... O2 tank HD check but where do you fine the SS stone and what to connect the two together? I need a chiller and a bigger fermenter but after that this is on the list. Then big beer time.

Exactly. It's what I have. No idea how long it lasts but maybe someone familiar with using this tank could weigh in here. I got my wand/stone from Williams Brewing (first thing I have ever picked up from them).

what do you do with the empty canister?

eastoak said:
what do you do with the empty canister?

Haven't run through one yet. But I have a propane lawn mower and that I fill off my grill propane tank so I don't contribute to land fill with the small canisters. I dont know if these O2 canisters can be refilled or not.

As far as I know (and I could be wrong here) the red O2 tanks/cylinders are made to be tossed out once empty.

I'm now using the O2 tank from my welding setup as a source. I've adapted the regulator to connect up to the O2 wand/stone and it works really well. I plan to have a flow meter in line before I use the setup again, so that I know the L/minute rate. That will help me to figure out the PPM of O2 I'm infusing.

I did use one red tank on the original configuration as it came from Williams... But decided I wanted more control, and more O2 to infuse. Plus, I already had the tank and regulator. It was cheap/easy to adapt it for this use. I picked up some 3/16" beer gas tubing to connect between the regulator and wand.

With the O2 tanks you get for welding applications, you can get those filled, or swap them out when empty. Just be aware that these things hold a good amount of O2, so don't get a huge one. If you have a good welding supply shop in your area, getting them should be easy. Probably easier than getting CO2 tanks filled (no idea on the cost though, it's been over 10 yeast since I got mine).

My wife has an Oster brand handheld electric blender/processor doohickie that spins about 15 billion RPM and really froths up the wort nicely. Maybe not the most advanced method but it sure does seem to do the trick.

hops2it said:
My wife has an Oster brand handheld electric blender/processor doohickie that spins about 15 billion RPM and really froths up the wort nicely. Maybe not the most advanced method but it sure does seem to do the trick.

Emulsion blender? Interesting. Have wanted one for years to make mayo and soups and stuff. Handy bit of kit.

But by using this method do you get a proper distribution of O2 in your wort? Im thinking that depending on the gravity of the wort the O2 might just be suspended to/at a certain depth.

But by using this method do you get a proper distribution of O2 in your wort? Im thinking that depending on the gravity of the wort the O2 might just be suspended to/at a certain depth.

I don't have any idea. It vortexes hard so I think it's pulling up from the bottom and circulating the whole fermentor.

@Beezy, yeah it's an emulsion blender.

Back