Advice on connection devices and tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berock

Reaction score
So I've been doing 10 gallon all grain batches for a year now and with chrismtas coming I want to improve my system. I currently have a Keggle for the boil kettle. I Currently use a IC but it is only 25' and not doing the job. This christmas I plan on getting a March Pump and CFC (like Cheyco's).

I have two basic questions. 1) I just installed a bulkhead with a ball valve and barb on my keggle (previously siphoned). I can't remember what the size of the barb is but the valve was 0.5". What size tubing do I need for the keggle to CFC and from the CFC to the March Pump. 2) What connectors work best and which ones would you place where? I'm familiar with quickconnects but am open to anything. I just don't understand how camlocks work. Would you place a female or male on the keggle? How do you connect to the CFC? Same question on the March Pump. I plan on recirculating the boil to sanitize the pump/cfc so I don't think I need on the end of the outflow from the March Pump.

Sorry, this is kind of a begginer question but not really associated with beer but with equipment (I'm not very handy). Any guidance is appreciated.

I just bought a butt load of CamLocks from BargainFittings.com. I ordered them at 12:30am on the 27th (Saturday) and they arrived today (Monday)... Unbelievable!

I am replacing a bunch of polycarbonate quick disconnects that I have used for almost a year. They were a little fragile and lately I started breaking them way more often than I like, so I wanted something more robust.

I have Males on all my "hard" points and Females on both ends of all hoses. The Males are easier to clean in place and the hoses and females can be soaked if needed.

I have all 1/2" hose. I used mostly thermoplastic, but I'm upgrading to all silicone at the same time I'm upgrading my QD's.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.
Ed

Back