Advice On Black Forest Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perch06

Reaction score
So I brewed the extract version of Jamil's "Black Forest Stout" recipe from Brewing Classic Styles about a week ago. Everything went fine during the brew day, but about 24 hours into fermentation, while I was out of town, my wife forgot to refresh the ice rotation in the swamp cooler. Bad time for that to happen. When I got home the next day the beer was clocking in at 75 degrees. I had hoped to keep fermentation temps down under 70 at least through the crucial active phase. The beer reached it's FG in less than four days. When I taste it now, it tastes like a boozy yeasty chocolate banana smoothie.

My question for you all is whether you think I'm hosed. I was hoping to give this out as Christmas gifts this year but don't want to embarrass myself. Is there any hope that the hot fermentation flavors will subside with age? I am currently debating whether I should even bother racking it onto the 6 lbs of sweet cherry puree I bought. It wasn't that cheap and I would hate to waste it on something that is not going to be pleasant to drink.

FYI, I followed the recipe to the T but I was rushed and didn't have time to do a yeast starter. Instead, I pitched a smack pack of Wyeast London Ale and made up the difference with some washed second generation Nottingham slurry to get to the proper pitching rate per Mr. Malty. Maybe that doomed me from the outset?

There are reports that ester flavors can disappear (or at least mellow out) with age. You might want to consider an extended aging before bottling.

I personally wouldn't use this for your gift beer - I wouldn't throw it out (it may be perfectly drinkable, after all - or may be a fine cooking beer) but wouldn't use your cherry puree in it.

Thanks for the reply. I think I will cut my losses and save the cherry puree for another day after I brew a better base beer. I need real temp control in a bad way.

Who knows, maybe I'll end up with an interesting chocolate banana stout with this batch. There certainly are worse flavor combinations out there.

Back