Advice on an electric BIAB system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesj1982

Reaction score
Hello all,

Brewing has become a real PITA in the winter season, so I've started looking into electric brewing. Also driving this consideration is a desire to improve my system. I've gotten by brewing on a single burner with a 6.5 gallon aluminum turkey fryer, a 10 gallon mash tun, a cobbled together wort chiller made from a copper tube, and no pump for too long. Honestly, after seeing some of the absolutely fantastic setups the guys in my homebrew club have, my system is downright embarrassing. I mean, I'm proud of it in the sense that I set it up for dirt cheap with no advice purely on a whim after reading Papazian's Joy of Homebrewing. But I've been brewing for awhile and feel that I've long since outgrown it. After poring over tons of threads here and elsewhere, I decided to make a profile and get involved. I'm in a homebrew club with russki and was really impressed with his eBIAB system (linked to here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/dual-2000w-120v-recirculating-ebiab-build-381476/ ). It's simple, easy to clean and maintain, requires minimal equipment, and it looks like it will provide the best bang for the buck... In short, it's everything I'm looking for.

I've got access to a 4-wire 6AWG outlet rated to 50A at the breaker that I know is properly grounded, as I ran the line and installed the breaker for the stove myself and did the testing then. I've also got about 20 feet of this wire leftover. I'm just going to do a brain dump of what I envision my eBIAB system to look like, and hope that you wonderful kind people will give me advice.

I'm trying to do this on the cheap, so knowledge of where to get parts cheap is always appreciated. Until I finish the house remodel and nab a job, I'll likely be doing this in stages, as I have very little extra spending money. Since I can brew outdoors (though it's pretty inconvenient), the first stage will be getting the kettle finished minus heater elements and I'll continue to brew using propane. Stage 2 will be building the control panel. Stage 3 will be putting in the heating elements, and making the switch to electric control. Knowing the costs of each of these stages will help me plan out a timeline for when I can reasonably expect to finish this (please god, let it be before winter ends).

I've got the kettle mostly worked out, as it's basically the same rig as in Russki's link. It will probably be a converted sanke keg (provided I can track one down; man are they hard to legitimately acquire in Illinois). On that note... If you or someone you know happens to be around the Chicago area (or maybe on the way to Minneapolis, MN or Des Moines, IA from Chicago as these are both places I visit occasionally) and want to sell me one, please let me know. I see them occasionally on craigslist going for $30-$50, but they're always gone by the time I contact the seller. I haven't decided how I'm going to attach the element to the keg. I'd like it to be easily replaceable and was looking at tri-clovers but wasn't sure that would be the easiest/best/cheapest option. I'd also like a sight tee and would like to plug in the sensor for the PID there as well. I'm ok with using a spare piece of silicon tubing for the sight tube and calibrating it myself if it would save money. And of course, I'll need any/all hardware to attach everything to the keg. For the recirculation, I was thinking about putting on a length of copper pipe, pinching the end, and drilling holes throughout the length of it and attaching it to the camlock F port on the kettle lid. I'll also need a pump capable of handling boiling temperatures, as I plan to recirculate and use my awful chiller until I can afford a plate chiller. At least I've already got a thrumometer.

Actually, the panel setup will be fairly similar to Russki's as well, except that I'd prefer to use a single higher powered element, and don't care about pretty switches or LED lit buttons. I'm planning on brewing a max of 10 gallon batches, so a single 5500W element running @ 240V should be sufficient. Then again, I do have access to a lot more power, so perhaps I should use more? Could anyone weigh in about how long it takes to get 10 gallons of water up to mash temp, or how long it takes to get water from mash temp to boiling with a single 5500W element?

I plan to use a spa panel for a gcfi, as I feel it will provide me maximum portability should I ever move. I've decided against an estop and instead would like to go with a DPST switch mostly for simplicity of design and cost. I'd like to use an auberins pid syl-2352 and temperature sensor alongside a 40A SSR. I've read about coils frequently being attached, though I don't really know if I'd need one if I didn't use the fancy LED buttons or indicators (but also haven't googled it yet). Actually, there's a ton of stuff I haven't googled yet, so bear with me. I'd like a flash buzzer and toggle switch wired into the PID. And I don't think I need locking cables/connections, though if you have a compelling argument for it, I'm open to suggestion. I'd also like to have the element plug into the box and be controlled entirely by the PID and the pump manually controlled on the box with a switch/outlet combo. I know P-J has done a ton of wiring schematics, so if you happen to know of anything that looks reasonably similar to what I'm describing, please throw me a link. And if P-J happens to be reading this, if there isn't a close match, I'd be eternally grateful for a circuit schematic.

Once I've got all the details worked out, I'll gladly post a full design with discussion about design considerations and my choices therein. I'll also be posting updates as I go through the process, fully documenting the project in the hopes that someone else will want to follow suit. When I'm totally finished, I plan to document the first brew day I have with it, complete with the successes and failures. And there will also be a spreadsheet of my parts and their costs, and the total cost. I know there's a ton of interest in electric conversion, but most of the people I've talked to have been dissuaded by the initial outlay. I'm hopeful that we can design and build a system on an extreme budget that focuses on automation, ease of use, minimal equipment, and reproduceability.

I got most of my stuff from bargainfittings.com

1x 1/2" ss camlock A style quick disconnect @ 3.70 = 3.70
4x 1/2" ss camlock B style quick disconnect @ 5.50 = 22.00
3x 1/2" ss camlock f style quick disconnect @ 3.99 = 11.97
1x 1/2" ss camlock d style quick disconnect @ 5.75 = 5.75
1/2" NPS locknut stainless @ 4.24 = 4.24 (I already have a harbor freight o-ring pack)
2x welded - keg bulkhead kit @ 3.20 = 6.40
1x Welded thermometer sight gauge fitting kit @ 22.00 = 22.00

Grand total = 76.06
$5 flat shipping = 81.06

I then went to Amazon to get the remaining odds & ends
2x 10' 1/2" silicon tubing @ 16.83 = 33.66
2x dixon fbvg50 brass ball valve 1/2" npt female @ 6.53 = 13.06

Grand total = 46.72
shipping was free

Total amount spent thus far: $127.78
Now I just need to get a punch kit from harbor freight and find someone to sell me a keg ;-p

This should be all the stuff I need for stage 1, but if I'm missing something don't hesitate to correct me.

-J

Sounds like you have a good plan. Though I'd save your money on the Harbor freight punch kit, I got one to test it out. After about three punches through 18 gage metal (not stainless) and that was about all I could use it for. Im not sure how its going to get through a keg, but id imagine it won't get through more than one. IMO a good step bit (or several from Harbor freight) and some cutting oil will be much more cost effective and versatile.

The HF step drills are okay for SS Sanke kegs. I did my keg and panel with one. Find a low speed drill, heck buy the one from HF if you can come up with the coin, and you can use it later to power a grain mill. Check out the link in my signature. I've brewed nearly 200 gallons with me eBIAB keggle and like it very much.

My lessons learned:
1. Buy the Camco ripple element. The first one that I bought was "ULWD" but still scorched. The current element has 190 gallons and is going strong.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BPG4LI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

2. I used a contactor to dissconnect the power from me element. Not completely necessary, but a nice touch.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KGSJ74/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

3. This should be #1. DON'T SKIMP ON THE ELECTRONICS. I bought nearly everything to control my keggle from China and had to replace a bunch of it. Buy the Auber stuff, and get a SSR with at least 30 amp capacity for a 5500W element.

4. This year I am adding a pump for recirculation. I currently lose 5 degrees during the mash, even with wrapping my keg with a blanket. This year I'm going to insulate and recirculate to fix that.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Bsquared: I'm not surprised about the harbor freight punches. I shop there a lot, and certain tools are extremely prone to break. My favorite is the 10mm line wrench which has broken literally every time I've used it (gone through 4 of them so far, and 2 of them were in a single job). Thankfully, they're REALLY good about replacing tools. Anyway, I managed to pick up a 15 gallon craiglist kettle for $100 while I was on vacation, so I won't have to mess with keggle conversion and I'll probably still pick up a set of punches as the kettle is much thinner. It's a little more than I'd planned to spend on the kettle, but it's going to be a lot easier to store, and lighter, so I think it was worth it. Anyway, even if the punches fail, I've already got step bits from other plumbing/electrical shenanigans. If they're truly awful, HF as also been good about refunding even broken tools without question. On that note, their needle nose vice grips are worthless except for holding sheet metal.

@pvtschultz: All of that sounds like solid advice. I hadn't landed on an element, so I appreciate the camco recommendation. My knee jerk instinct is that a longer element would have less scorching, as the heat will be more evenly distributed over a longer resistor path thus heating the wort more evenly, though this is pure speculation on my part. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can confirm or deny. I'm definitely planning to get the PID and the SSR from auber (and it'll be a 40A so I don't have to worry about shortening the lifespan from driving it too hard), though I haven't worked out the control panel build enough to know exactly what else is involved. I also still haven't had time to look up what exactly it is that coils do. This may be perhaps what I do with my free time today. I've got a buddy who's an electrician and another who does ridiculous things with microelectronics. If I can get them together at the same time I feel like I'll have a schematic with more design consideration than I could ever come up with within an hour. I'm still going to try to come up with a design myself so I can at least keep up with them.

Thank you both for the advice. Even if it seems like I know what I'm doing, I don't. I've got just enough knowledge to appear like I know what I'm doing, which is just enough knowledge to be dangerous. I'm slowly wrapping my head around all of this and input is extremely useful.

My knee jerk instinct is that a longer element would have less scorching, as the heat will be more evenly distributed over a longer resistor path thus heating the wort more evenly, though this is pure speculation on my part. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can confirm or deny.

Yes, the likelihood of scorching diminishes with reduced watt density, which is basically the wattage divided by the surface area (not the length) of the element. They make foldback and wavy designs to pack more surface area into the same length.

Yes, the likelihood of scorching diminishes with reduced watt density, which is basically the wattage divided by the surface area (not the length) of the element. They make foldback and wavy designs to pack more surface area into the same length.

Is there a significant scorching risk with a CAMCO low watt density, as opposed to a CAMCO ultra low watt density element? Assuming both elements are 4500 watt, 240 volt?

Thanks for the confirmation Jeffmeh.

@Woodbrews: I wasn't aware there was even the option of the low watt density versus the ultra low watt density. I'll have to read up on it. Both elements look the same size, though pictures are deceiving, not to mention websites frequently using stock photos. If I completely understand Jeffmeh's comment, the ultra low watt density is probably thicker or slightly larger if there's even a difference at all and it's not just a marketing ploy to prey on the ignorant (and by that I mean me :cross:). Has anybody out there used both? I'm not really qualified to comment on the scorching of different elements as I have approximately zero empirical evidence. Once I'm actually brewing on it, I'll pass on what I've learned. What my reading thus far suggests is that regardless of element, scorching can be minimized by good circulation and not cranking the PID as high as it can go during the boil. People apparently put the PID into manual mode during the boil and use some percent of the element's capability. You would ideally use the minimum setting while still maintaining a rolling boil. Not exactly what you asked, but it's what I know thus far.

Back