Advice on Adding Rye to a Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mm1473

Reaction score
So--I have been brewing the recipe below for a couple of years. The actual recipe calls it a cream ale but it is not close to any cream ale I have ever had before. I do really like the recipe though and I make it all the time. It occurred to me the other day that this recipe would probably be really good with some rye in it. So--I thought I would ask the experts to see your thoughts on how much rye and if I should substitute some of the 2-Row for the rye or just add the rye in addition to the original recipe. The recipe has about the perfect blend of hop aroma and flavor and I really don't want to lose that--that is my goal anyway. Thanks in advance for the help and have a good weekend. Here is the recipe:

8lb 2-Row
2.5lb Flaked Corn
.75lb Carapils
1oz cascade @30
1oz cascade at flameout

8 oz of rye. That's what I would add and what I added to my rye IPA. It was subtle but not too much.

I like about 20-25% rye for APA/IPA's. It can give a perception of dryness in significant quantites IME. If it were me I'd probably drop the corn, replace with about 2-2.5 lb of rye, and change the carapils to a darker crystal to help balance the rye.

Yeah, my first rye IPA is running 23% of my grain bill. It ought to be great!

Drop the Carapils as the rye should give you the heading that you want, Add a pound of rye malt and reduce the 2 row by that much so your OG is the same. You also might want a handful of rice hulls since the rye has no husk and tends to be sticky too and you don't want a stuck sparge.

I've made a rye pale and have always noted the rye flavor quite subtle.
This time I'm making a blonde ale version reducing the hops and crystal to see if this helps, and have upped the rye to 33%.

If you want the rye to pop, you need +20%.

I've heard that it depends on the origin of the rye to some extent. American is supposedly more spicey.

I just finished a rye pale with 15% American Rye and it is a grand beer but not very rye-like. I'll probably up it next time.

OP - I'd say sub out some dextrine and two row and replace with Rye.

Replace the corn with 2.5 lbs flaked rye, and replace some of the carapils with 4 ozs chocolate.

Back