Advice on a small AG rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrozenWinter

Reaction score
I've been brewing 5 gallon AG batches for about 6 months now and I have gotten away from kit beers in favor of my own recipes.
The problem I've run into with this is that if my recipe is god awful I still have 5 gallons of it.

I'd like to set up a system for doing 1 to 2 gallon AG batches so i can test some of my recipe ideas before taking it to my 5 gallon rig. Would I be better off setting up a small HLT and MT or at that scale would it be simpler to just do BIAB?

I plan on doing BIAB on the stovetop for 1-2 g batches. BIAB seems to be about the perfect solution for the 1-2g AG brewer.

Stovetop BIAB, place pot in a warm oven for the mash rest.

I have done a few 2.5G BIAB batches and this is the method I used. I couldn't believe how well this worked for maintaining a precise temperature. I'd preheat the oven to 5F over my mash temp and turn off the oven before inserting the pot. Every 15min I'd stir the mash and briefly turn on the oven to get it back to the mash temp or just above and shut it off as soon as the desired temp was reached. Are you using beersmith, brewtarget or similar programs when you design your recipes?

BIAB, unless you just really want to play with a little MLT. If you do, I have a 2 gallon one I'd consider selling.

With a little planning you can optimize a MLT for 2-3 gallon batches, but still have it work with 5G batches. BIAB is nice, and that's what I've been doing. Ask yourself how often you'll be brewing experimental batches, and how often you'll want to brew larger volumes of house standards or for a party.
Before you invest in a system make sure it fits your needs. Also try to be realistic with yourself so you can sort out the role you're trying to fill.

PS: I say go for 3G batches, carboys come in 1, 3, 5, & 6 gallon volumes. If you don't intend to age then empty headspace isn't an issue, I just like a full carboy/bucket :) . 3G is only a case of beer, for all but the most skunkalicious brews you should be able to choke down that much. IMO it's the sweet spot between having too much beer for one person to drink (YMMV) and having too little of a stellar batch.

I've been brewing 5 gallon AG batches for about 6 months now and I have gotten away from kit beers in favor of my own recipes.
The problem I've run into with this is that if my recipe is god awful I still have 5 gallons of it.

I'd like to set up a system for doing 1 to 2 gallon AG batches so i can test some of my recipe ideas before taking it to my 5 gallon rig. Would I be better off setting up a small HLT and MT or at that scale would it be simpler to just do BIAB?

You may or may not have seen this thread, but if not, it'll answer some of your questions. I'm not a BIABer, so when I did a few 2 gallon batches, I followed this thread pretty closely.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/question-about-very-small-mini-mash-264215/#post3192006

I always say that I dislike BIAB because of the hot, heavy, sticky mess, but for small batches like this I would not try to make a mini mash tun. Not worth the time, $$ or effort, IMO.

BIAB!

Here is a video of my method for small 2 gallon batches. The video is a little old and I've modified the numbers to produce 1.9 b into the fermenter and 1.8 g into the bottling bucket producing 3 Six Packs.

You can sub the burner for your in the house stove.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done a few 2.5G BIAB batches and this is the method I used. I couldn't believe how well this worked for maintaining a precise temperature. I'd preheat the oven to 5F over my mash temp and turn off the oven before inserting the pot. Every 15min I'd stir the mash and briefly turn on the oven to get it back to the mash temp or just above and shut it off as soon as the desired temp was reached. Are you using beersmith, brewtarget or similar programs when you design your recipes?

I'm using beersmith, even runs on my windows tablet which is nice for going to the LHBS for ingredients.

With a little planning you can optimize a MLT for 2-3 gallon batches, but still have it work with 5G batches. BIAB is nice, and that's what I've been doing. Ask yourself how often you'll be brewing experimental batches, and how often you'll want to brew larger volumes of house standards or for a party.
Before you invest in a system make sure it fits your needs. Also try to be realistic with yourself so you can sort out the role you're trying to fill.

PS: I say go for 3G batches, carboys come in 1, 3, 5, & 6 gallon volumes. If you don't intend to age then empty headspace isn't an issue, I just like a full carboy/bucket :) . 3G is only a case of beer, for all but the most skunkalicious brews you should be able to choke down that much. IMO it's the sweet spot between having too much beer for one person to drink (YMMV) and having too little of a stellar batch.

I've all ready have a 10g HLT and MT and a 10g megapot and do have some standards that I always try to keep on tap.
The smaller rig is going to be just for experimenting. I currently have 4 different recipes that i want to try on the small rig

I have a 2-gallon Igloo cooler mash tun that I put together super cheap, and it works. I use it to make starter wort that I pressure can. But with BIAB you can use a pot you probably already own, use your oven to maintain mash temps, and get a bag from Wilserbrewer. I'm getting ready to order a second bag for my 16 quart stock pot so I can make 1 gallon batches just for fun.

Ok, I think i have figured out how I'm going to set this up.
I allready have a kettle that will work for the boil and what not but it does not fit in my oven.
I think im going to pick up a small 2 gallon cooler to use as a MT and just BIAB inside it.

Now for a boil time, should i be shortening it for a 2.5 gallon batch? Or stick with a 60min boil?
any advantages or disadvantages to either?

Beware BIAB. If you try it you may never look back :)

I stove top 5-6 gallon batches. Love it.

Just curious what kind of stove top you have. I just have a ceramic stovetop and would have a really hard time getting a rolling boil if the batch was above 3 gallons. Is your stove top gas or are you splitting the batch between 2 kettles?

Just curious what kind of stove top you have. I just have a ceramic stovetop and would have a really hard time getting a rolling boil if the batch was above 3 gallons. Is your stove top gas or are you splitting the batch between 2 kettles?

I've got a pretty standard gas cook top. Can't remember if it's a GE or Maytag. Couple of high output burners and two smaller ones.

Using one kettle. Just got another kettle though so I can do two batches of different beer in parallel for 10 gallons total.

Back