Advice needed on a partial mash, extract Porter! First time Brewer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brews-n-Blues

Reaction score
I have split the 5 gal batch of my robust Porter after 10 days in primary.
I flavored the one batch with "barrel-aged dark cherry, Vanilla" using 2 vanilla beans. The other is the original "Robust" Porter recipe. The fermentation action in the air-lock dropped down drastically after about 2 full days, which I've heard is normal sometimes?
When I split the batch, the bubbling in the air-lock had stopped completely!?
The Krausen has vanished completely?
I know they say give it some time for the yeast to clean/clear the Beer up, but
Is this still normal?
It smelled great when I was filling the secondary carboys!?
I also noticed a very, lite soapy looking film on top of the robust Porter?
Am I worrying for nothing?
How long do you think I should keep this in secondary, before priming and bottling?
Is there any hope for priming and carbonation in bottles?
Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first batch of Home Brew and I want to get it Right!!
Any help is appreciated!
Cheers!!
Rock

Attachments

• 20200903_103130.jpg
    20200903_103130.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
Chances are that attenuation was finished before you split the batch. If you're worried, you could take gravity reading, which is the only way to know for sure.

I'll just add that that a lot of headspace for secondaries. Unless you're adding something fermentable (not sure what you mean by "barrel-aged dark cherry"), you want a secondary's headspace to be as small as possible. In fact, you didn't really need to do a secondary at all for the half that didn't get any additions.

Chances are that attenuation was finished before you split the batch. If you're worried, you could take gravity reading, which is the only way to know for sure.

I'll just add that that a lot of headspace for secondaries. Unless you're adding something fermentable (not sure what you mean by "barrel-aged dark cherry"), you want a secondary's headspace to be as small as possible. In fact, you didn't really need to do a secondary at all for the half that didn't get any additions.

The reading I took the day before I split the batch was right on the money of what the Brew kit's paperwork stated.
The reading was 1.012.
Do you think this will still carbonate with priming, when bottled?
I don't have any smaller carboys, other than 1 gallon glass jugs?
Will this ruin the batch?

The reading I took the day before I split the batch was right on the money of what the Brew kit's paperwork stated.
The reading was 1.012.
Also, the barrel-aged, Dark-Cherry flavor was from the Vodka I used to extract the vanilla out of the 2 beans I used?
I then strained this into the first fermenter and then syphoned the Beer out of the primary, onto this extract flavor. I hope this batch isn't ruined?

Also, the barrel-aged, Dark-Cherry flavor was from the Vodka I used to extract the vanilla out of the 2 beans I used?
I then strained this into the first fermenter and then syphoned the Beer out of the primary, onto this extract flavor. I hope this batch isn't ruined?

There's no reason that it wouldn't.

Ruin is a strong word, but oxidation does affect flavor. OTOH, this is a dark, non-hoppy beer, so the affects won't be as apparent.

I then strained this into the first fermenter and then syphoned the Beer out of the primary, onto this extract flavor.

Ah. So, you basically made a tincture. You really could have just added the tincture to the bottling bucket on bottling day and skipped the secondary.

Damn? I've read so many different blogs and info on this that I thought I was doing the right thing? The Brew kit's paperwork even strongly suggested that I rack to a secondary fermenter?
It did say to do this "before" fermentation was finished, but also said that fermentation should take up to 6 or 7 days??
Which it looked like it was done in 2?
Do you think that the split batches will be OK in these fermenter or Do you think I should rerack into smaller?
Or do you think that It's ready for priming and bottling?
Again, sorry for all the questions, but it feels like I have very limited time now for these steps? Just wanna make a good Brew!
Cheers!

The Brew kit's paperwork even strongly suggested that I rack to a secondary fermenter?

Sadly, beer kit instructions have mostly not moved into the 21st century.

It did say to do this "before" fermentation was finished, but also said that fermentation should take up to 6 or 7 days??
Which it looked like it was done in 2?

It's not uncommon for there to be lots of visible activity for a couple of days, followed by a sharp drop off. That doesn't mean that attenuation is finished.

Do you think that the split batches will be OK in these fermenter or Do you think I should rerack into smaller?

I wouldn't. Racking again would only expose the beer to more oxygen during the racking process.

Or do you think that It's ready for priming and bottling?

Yes.

I appreciate your advice!!
So one more question, since the paperwork is "not with the times"!?😕
After I prime, using the included powdered primer and then bottle,
how long normally does the carbonation process take for a Porter? Or is it all the same time for any style of Beer?
I'll be using mostly 22oz swing-top bottles.

After I prime, using the included powdered primer and then bottle,
how long normally does the carbonation process take for a Porter? Or is it all the same time for any style of Beer?
I'll be using mostly 22oz swing-top bottles.

This will vary, depending on things like yeast strain/health/amount, temperature, ABV, and the target carbonation level. But as a rule of thumb, I'd crack my first bottle after three weeks at room-ish temp. Two weeks if I was in a hurry and wanted to check.

Ok.
Correction, I'll be using 16oz swing-top Amber bottles. The ABV should be 5.4%.
OG - 1.052 / FG - 1.012.
I was gonna put them back into the fermentation chamber at 68°, which is what the Beer fermented at originally?
Do you think the same temp will be good or do you recommend turning up a couple degrees?

I was gonna put them back into the fermentation chamber at 68°, which is what the Beer fermented at originally?
Do you think the same temp will be good or do you recommend turning up a couple degrees?

68F is fine.

Thanks again for the advice!!
I'll be bottling tomorrow, after I pick up the bottles! Really appreciate you taking the time to answer ALL of my questions!
You are very patient!!
Cheers to Home Brewing!!
🍺😎

Latest posts

Back