Advice for hops and yeast in a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaika-Dzari

Reaction score
My initial intention was to brew a low ABV, fresh / drinkable, not too bitter but having some aroma beer. :)
From what I can read in brewfather, a British Golden Ale would fit nicely.

But, I start brewing in July and crushed grains and hops are accumulating in my freezer. So I decide to use what I have before it is too old...

For a 10L batch, my grain bill is (mostly, all I have):
- 1.6 kg of 2 rows
- 200g of caramel 20
- 100 g of honey malt

I also have some flaked oat I, so maybe adding 100g.
With my current efficiency, brewfather tells me I'm at 1.039. So I should get a ~3.8% beer which is fine (and in the range of the Golden Ale).

Now, for the hops and yeast, I'm not sure and would like some advice.

For the hops, I have: Chinook, EKG and Hallertau Mittlefrueh.
Would it be a good idea to use the EKG at 60 for bittering and use the Chinook at 15 and flameout for aroma ? Targeting 25-30 IBU ?

For the yeast, I have: Safale US-05, Safale S-04, Lallemand Munich classic and Mangrove Jack's Kveik M12.
US-05 and Munich seems wrong for what I have in mind. S-04, the Kveik M12 or I grab something else from my local brew shop ?
My local brew shop keeps a couple of White Lab, Omega and Escarpment Laboratories + Safale and Lallemand for dry yeast.

Thanks for the help!

You're going for a British style, so I'd lean into the British hops and yeast (EKG and S-04). The character of your bittering hop doesn't matter nearly as much as your late hops, so use the EKG at say 15 minutes to go and flameout, and I'd probably prefer the Hallertau over Chinook for bittering, but it shouldn't matter too much.

Thanks rsquared.

I changed my recipe to use:

4g - Chinook @ 60 mins
5g - EKG @ 30 mins
5g - EKG @ 15 mins
5g - EKG @ 0 mins.

Which gets me 25 IBU.

I checked my local brew shop and they have some pack of Wyeast 1318 london ale and WLP007.
I don't have a lot of experience with liquid yeast, how would you compare these to the S-04 ? I already brew 2 time with S-04 so I would not mind trying something different.

Latest posts

Back