Advice for a newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordymoore5

Reaction score
I have just made my first ever batch of home brew. I purchased a cheap starter kit of real ale and made my first mistake by adding 20 litres of water instead of 20 pints.

Has anybody got any advice for me?

Yeah here is some real solid advice... RELAX!:cross:

edit: LOL I thought you said quarts... In this case relax and learn if it is fermenting right now. I made my first batch last year after a long time off and it was way too watered down.

Did you boil yet?
Are you adding hops (or is it already hopped extract)?
Do you have a hydrometer?
If so, take a reading (make sure it's mixed well, and the temp is close to 60F).
Check your reading compared to the instructions and report back.
If it's way low, and you haven't started the boil yet, you may be able to boil it down to get a higher reading.

My instructions don't mention any boiling!!!!

As it is a very basic kit it just says to make the mixture in the barrel then transfer it to bottles after a week.

Probably not ideal, but you could buy another identical kit and mix it in. You would have roughly the right amount.

That was what we thought about doing, but can you add the second lot of syrup after and would you add the second amount of yeast too?

If you are going to combine, then I'd do it today before it starts to ferment. Added o2 might be an issue after today. Add some hot water to the syrup to mix it together and then cool it down to room temp. Pitch another yeast as well.

I think we are going to leave this batch alone and see if it just turns out a bit weaker than normal, and put it down to experience

Latest posts

Back