Advice for 1st time IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilwaukeeBrewGuy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone. After coming off a string of brewing lots of balanced or malt focused beer (mild, robust porter, hefe, dubbel, patersbier, etc) Combine these with a nightcap of Wee heavy each night and you can see why I am looking for an entry into the hop head world. Any advice or recipes for a good 'first timer' IPA?

I have been looking at the Surly Furious clone but haven't tasted it yet. (The name sounds cool) :D

Well, everyone's hop tastes are different. I did the all-Amarillo IPA in the recipe section a few months ago. It was a big hit. The hops were citrusy and bright, without being syrupy (I'm lookin at you, DFH90!). But YMMV. Find an IPA you like, see if you can dig up the recipe or at least the hops used.

Above all, enjoy the research!

hey thanks for the tip. It looks like a good recipe. I also like the fact that it is a single hop. I know what you mean with the "syrupy hops." i think i like my hops more dry/resiny if that makes any sense.

Well, everyone's hop tastes are different. I did the all-Amarillo IPA in the recipe section a few months ago. It was a big hit. The hops were citrusy and bright, without being syrupy (I'm lookin at you, DFH90!). But YMMV. Find an IPA you like, see if you can dig up the recipe or at least the hops used.

Above all, enjoy the research!

I made that recipe too and it was a huge hit, twice. I made it once for a retirement party for my dad (crawfish boil) and the keg was floated in hours, and I sent the recipe to a buddy for his birthday party and he said his keg was almost gone in hours as well.

Find an IPA you like, see if you can dig up the recipe or at least the hops used.

Agreed. I also like to take notes on how the hops smell before I throw them in. I don't agree with some of the descriptions that homebrew supply sites have for their hops.

Beersmith had and Oscars IPA in their database. It was the first IPA that I brewed and it ended up taking a Blue Ribbon. Check it out if it is still on there.

Back