Adverse affects due to pitching later?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
I was wondering if you get any adverse affects from pitching yeast after a few hours/a day later, etc? For instance, sometimes I brew later into the night and i don't want to wait until it drops to pitching temps (some brews into low 60s) so I thought it wouldn't hurt to drop temps to around 80ish, transfer to carboy and throw into chest freezer and turn it on and drop it to the temp I need to pitch. Then in the morning, or even when I get back from work the next day, pitch it then. Would this be OK? Would I get any off flavors or anything with this?

Thanks!

matt

I do this. I put my wort into a carboy and then put it in the refrigerator. When I brew late I put it in over night before I pitch. I've never had any issues.

I also do this this for every batch. Living in Florida, my ground water averages in the mid eighties, I chill with my i.c. until I get within 2-3 degrees of my water temp, drain to the fermenter, place in temp controlled chest freezer and pitch when it reaches around 65 degrees, usually 2-3 hours later. No problems of off flavors.

The only problems that might arise is you give bacteria and wild yeast a chance to grow without your yeast fighting them. But with good sanitation it's not an issue.

A4J gave you the best advice, there are plenty of guys that do "no chill brewing" do a search and read up on their problems/solutions.

I have done this with a number of batches and they came out great. I've even pitched after coming home from work the next day with no problems.

One thing I started doing, to help lower to pitching temp is putting my top off water in the fridge the night before I brew (I do partial boils). After cooling the wort to 70-75F, 2-2.5 gallons of cold top off water brings it below pitching temp (to about 56-58F).

its called "no-chill" brewing. a great technique to shorten a lengthy brewday.
i usually cool to about 100 though which takes me very little time...its that last 30-40 degrees that takes the longest

Sorry to take a tangent with this post, but what method do you use to aerate the wort when it's going into the fermenter that warm? Take it out of the fridge and shake it? Injection?

I usually wait to aerate right before I pitch. In other words I use my immersion chiller to chill the wort as quickly as possible. I then put that into the carboy. I then put the carboy in the fridge for several hours to get a couple degrees below fermentation temp. I then aerate with O2 and then pitch my yeast.

You can pick up O2 canisters from home depot. You will just need to buy the aeration kit from a LHBS or on-line.

Thanks all for the posts and info. This is pretty much exactly what I did to my past batch but before i did more I wanted to make sure it was all good! Thanks!

Back