Adults and comic books, star wars, dr who, etc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
Your thoughts? I am in a career field (computers) that seems to attract people who are really, really, reaally into Star Wars, Dr. Who, etc etc. I know everyone has their own tastes, but while I'm mainly interested in brewing, playing music and building things with my hands, my co-workers (especially the ones in the early to mid 20s) can't stop gushing about fictional superheroes. Sometimes I swear I have no idea what to talk about with these people.

These things just kind of strike me as well, childish... I mean, I know a guy who named his son THOR for God's sake! And no, he's not an adherent of Scandinavian paganism or history, it's because of the comic book character!

Is this just a recent thing? Will it go the way of other cultural fads? What's going on here?

Your thoughts? I am in a career field (computers) that seems to attract people who are really, really, reaally into Star Wars, Dr. Who, etc etc. I know everyone has their own tastes, but while I'm mainly interested in brewing, playing music and building things with my hands, my co-workers (especially the ones in the early to mid 20s) can't stop gushing about fictional superheroes. Sometimes I swear I have no idea what to talk about with these people.

These things just kind of strike me as well, childish... I mean, I know a guy who named his son THOR for God's sake! And no, he's not an adherent of Scandinavian paganism or history, it's because of the comic book character!

Is this just a recent thing? Will it go the way of other cultural fads? What's going on here?

Meh. People like what they want. Not sure what you're getting at here. If you tell the comic nerds you're really into making beer, you might get a similar look.

Let it go. So many people on this earth, they're all OK. If you find that it really bothers you, it's your problem, and you need to find a way to deal with it. Not them.

You like craft beer. People crafted the beer. It tastes good. You get enjoyment out of it.

They like fiction/fantasy. People crafted that fantasy. It tastes good to them (in their brain.) They get enjoyment out of it.

You do know there is a pet peeve thread you can use to air your complaints against humanity, right?

You can make the same argument about watching sports. Don't only children play games? Wait, you only sit in front of your TV and watch people play football? You don't actually play yourself? Wait, you never actually played football? Why are you getting so worked up, its only a game! etc.

Now if I said any of these things in a public setting I would get a strange look all the way to possibly getting assaulted.

Everybody has their own things that crank them up.

I'm shocked, SHOCKED to find sci-fi geeks in the tech industry!

I'm reminded of a multi part PBS series where they talked about the universal appeal of superheroes and a separate maybe 7 or 8 part series on History where contributors like Harvard classics professors, historians, major movie directors, Tom Brokaw, Newt Gingrich, etc. talked about the lore of Star Wars and parallels to classic literature and even Biblical stories, in a really thoughtful, academic, and respectful way.

It's not just for kids, there, sir.

OP just doesn't get the fascination and wondered if he is alone in this. He's not; I can relate. I enjoy watching Batman or Star Wars movies once in awhile but I'm not up on the trivia, don't collect stuff or go to conventions. I wouldn't name my kid Vader or anything.

I didn't read much in the way of denigration in the post...well, maybe a little, but I took it in a humorous way. Had he written the same regarding BMC or hipsters all would be well. You're edgy, my man. Hold your head high! :D

Never understood the attraction of superheroes and comic books. Just like I don't understand sports fanaticism. But I'm sure there's a lot of crap I like people find weird, like my stuffed squirrel collection, or my obsession with Tom Selleck's mustache.

OP just doesn't get the fascination and wondered if he is alone in this. He's not; I can relate. I enjoy watching Batman or Star Wars movies once in awhile but I'm not up on the trivia, don't collect stuff or go to conventions. I wouldn't name my kid Vader or anything.

I didn't read much in the way of denigration in the post...well, maybe a little, but I took it in a humorous way. Had he written the same regarding BMC or hipsters all would be well. You're edgy, my man. Hold your head high! :D

Hah, yeah man that's exactly why I posted it! I just don't get the fascination. I never said it was objectively bad!

I would say calling them childish is a negative comment.

Don't worry, they are most likely also into math puzzles, sports, and naked chicks like most other guys.

Seriously, though. It's not just tech guys. ALL kinds of young people are into the superhero and geek culture these days. BTW it's called Fandom.

like my stuffed squirrel collection, or my obsession with tom selleck's mustache.

mustached.jpg

I would say calling them childish is a negative comment.

Don't worry, they are most likely also into math puzzles, sports, and naked chicks like most other guys.

Seriously, though. It's not just tech guys. ALL kinds of young people are into the superhero and geek culture these days. BTW it's called Fandom.

The more comic-con photos I see the more my interest is piqued.

Nothing wrong with being Childish sometimes, also in these fantasy worlds things do not always work out, many are much darker than our own. That being said both my daughters and I love Doctor Who and the Marvel universe, we will be going to Awesome Con this Spring, and I will be attending some National Homebrewers Con for those beer escapists.

and yes I am in the Tech industry.

Nothing wrong with being Childish sometimes, also in these fantasy worlds things do not always work out, many are much darker than our own. That being said both my daughters and I love Doctor Who and the Marvel universe, we will be going to Awesome Con this Spring, and I will be attending some National Homebrewers Con for those beer escapists.

and yes I am in the Tech industry.

Jenna Coleman, Morena Baccarin, and Summer Glau all in one place!

SCHWING! :ban:

We go to the Supernatural Convention (Creation Productions Chi-con) around October each year. Wife is a blogger.

Frankly, I couldn't care less about meeting celebs, but it's a nice family vacation and there are some cool items to buy and some funny stories to hear. And they have an awesome little concert by Louden Swain and a Karaoke Night. I get to try some different Chicago Area beers.

Last edited:
Never understood the attraction of superheroes and comic books. Just like I don't understand sports fanaticism. But I'm sure there's a lot of crap I like people find weird, like my stuffed squirrel collection, or my obsession with Tom Selleck's mustache.

Everyone is fascinated by Tom Selleck's mustache...some are just more honest than others about it.

I'm an IT dork but the superhero stuff just aggravates me. Not my brand of escapism I suppose. Most of the movies I don't last 5 minutes unless it has rifftrax. I do enjoy some of the classic sci-fi books though.

One caveat is that I loved Firefly. It's probably more of the good characters and storytelling, my love for the old west, and contempt for authority that appeals to me though. Also the pretty girls.

I'm 40 years old (yay! I'm old! :rolleyes:) and I still like comic books, Star Wars, Star Trek, and Doctor Who. Nerd power! :rockin: :D

I am 40 ish and have close to 10,000 comics.
still subscribe to a few titles (daredevil, batman, walking dead)
Just read 1st TPB of Kirkman's "Outcast", highly recommend.

When people call me out for reading comic books I remind them that all the best movies and TV shows they watch are based on comics!

I am 40 ish and have close to 10,000 comics.
still subscribe to a few titles (daredevil, batman, walking dead)
Just read 1st TPB of Kirkman's "Outcast", highly recommend.

When people call me out for reading comic books I remind them that all the best movies and TV shows they watch are based on comics!

I did read batman comics 100 yrs ago. Loved them.

Since then, the only comics I've read were the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers. I'm pretty sure that's not what this thread is about though :)

I'm probably never going to watch another movie based on any comicbook character again though. (maybe deadpool). I'm so so sick of them. I remember the first superman movie, which was awesome, but man they are so formulaic now. Gack!

I did read batman comics 100 yrs ago. Loved them.

Since then, the only comics I've read were the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers. I'm pretty sure that's not what this thread is about though :)

I'm probably never going to watch another movie based on any comicbook character again though. (maybe deadpool). I'm so so sick of them. I remember the first superman movie, which was awesome, but man they are so formulaic now. Gack!

Deadpool is awesome. Make sure to watch all the way through to the very end of all the credits for extra special awesomeness.

Deadpool is awesome. Make sure to watch all the way through to the very end of all the credits for extra special awesomeness.

Did watch about 3/4 with my son Sat night. Fell asleep :( It was pretty funny.

I was not impressed. I was expecting more of a Ultimate Spider Man style Deadpool. Better jokes, etc..

I was not impressed. I was expecting more of a Ultimate Spider Man style Deadpool. Better jokes, etc..

I think I liked it best because it wasn't like any of the other superheros movies.

Or at least he isn't like the typical superhero. None of that "With great power comes great responsibility" stuff.

And I liked the 4th wall breaks and meta humour. Just a movie to have fun.

Back