Adjusting carbonation levels after equilibrium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanseMacabre

Reaction score
Hi all. After lurking for quite a bit, and garnering so much valuable information, I decided to join. I've been kit brewing of and on for the last couple years, I but have recently decided to advance my techniques and increase production. I just finished a 4 keg keezer thanks to all the great input here at homebrew talk (I will post pics soon). I will keg my first brew tomorrow, and my question concerns PSI setting on my secondary regulator after carbonation is achieved. It is a nut brown ale, and I would like to reach 2.0 vol of CO2. According to the charts, I would "set it and forget it" at approximately 7psi in my 42 degree keezer. I am quite patient, so I intend to wait 2 weeks at this level if necessary. After which, I wonder if 7psi is too low to push the beer through 10ft of beer line? If I increase it to the standard 10-12 serving psi, won't more CO2 eventually dissolve into my beer creating added and unwanted carbonation. I was wondering if any of you have had to increase serving psi with low carbonated beers, and if so, what was the consequence with regard to the carbonation in the beer. I'd like to keep my brown ales low in carbonation. I assume the other extreme would be high carbonated Hefes. WOuld you have to lower serving psi after you carbonate at a high psi to achieve 3.0+ vol of CO2.

Thanks for the consideration

The long line will just pour slower at lower pressures. Since I can run multiple pressures in my kegger, I do have one faucet connected with 6' of tubing for bitters and milds at low carb levels. Everything else pours great on 10' lines.

When I was at 40 F and 12 psi my 5 and 7 ft lines were foaming pretty bad. Just changing the temp to 38F and 10 psi seemed to be a world of difference with foaming.

Your 7 psi and 42 F seems on the low pressure side. I imagine it will still pour at 10 ft but I'd bump the psi up 2 personally. The volumes will still be in the ball park for this keg and not be that low on future ones.

Thanks for the advice Bobby. I too have 4 keezer lines, so I may experiment with a shorter beer line for low carbonated beers.

Back