Adjusting bitterness post-boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosium

Reaction score
Hi all

I did my second all-grain yesterday, with new kit I bought - a 28L cooler box MLT, with the integral copper manifold thingy as I’m tired of brewing in a bag.

I made a Belgian blonde, so just European pilsener malt, Demerara sugar and saaz. I aimed for about 65% efficiency, which would have given me about 26 IBU with the hops I used (60g @ 90min, 40g @ 30min, 3% AA). Unfortunately, as this was new equipment, I actually got about 78% efficiency, so in order to hit my OG I had to water the wort down quite a lot. This means I now have 25L of beer, and the brew is only about 20 IBU.

My question is this: is there any way to boost the bitterness post-boil? I thought of dry-hopping, but I thought that only increases hop aroma and not bitterness. Short of boiling up some hops on the stove top and adding the hopped water to my wort, is there anything I can do or should I just live with this brew and try fix the next one now that I know I can achieve better efficiency with my setup?

Thanks,

It will probably be fine, I was just hoping to have a bit of a noticeable bitterness. 20 IBUs in this (1.064) will be pretty much in the background. o well, I can't say I feel like messing with it now, it's bubbling away atm.

Next time it is then

Back