Adjunct beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
I'm going to brew either tonight or tomorrow night and I'm brainstorming what I want to brew. I was thinking apa but now, like any good homebrewer, I'm wondering whats in my kitchen that can tweak the recipe a little.

I have a pint of super dark local honey I was thinking about using somehow. It's dark dark like dark maple syrup. I know honey ferments out just about 100% but I'm thinking since it's so dark there might be some flavor left over? I'll have to boil it too since it's raw so maybe it'll caramelize a little.

I have enough 2 row for a decent gravity 5 gal batch and some random American style specialty grains I can put into a grist. I figure if I'm using something delicate like dark honey a simple grist will do. Maybe even just straight up 2 row.

I'm kegging an Xmas beer so I'll have a second gen sa04 cake to pitch on.

Any other ideas or recipes anyone has tried? Thanks!

I'm going to brew either tonight or tomorrow night and I'm brainstorming what I want to brew. I was thinking apa but now, like any good homebrewer, I'm wondering whats in my kitchen that can tweak the recipe a little.

I have a pint of super dark local honey I was thinking about using somehow. It's dark dark like dark maple syrup. I know honey ferments out just about 100% but I'm thinking since it's so dark there might be some flavor left over? I'll have to boil it too since it's raw so maybe it'll caramelize a little.

I have enough 2 row for a decent gravity 5 gal batch and some random American style specialty grains I can put into a grist. I figure if I'm using something delicate like dark honey a simple grist will do. Maybe even just straight up 2 row.

I'm kegging an Xmas beer so I'll have a second gen sa04 cake to pitch on.

Any other ideas or recipes anyone has tried? Thanks!

If you were to use it. Add it at flameout. Any boiling will kill the flavor your trying to achieve.

honey is just another fermentable sugar , boost abv ,little flavor addition. honey malt adds flavor .

thanks for the responses. I have used honey malt a few times before but I'm currently out of it. A little goes a long way with that stuff so a lb lasted me over a year!

I'm aware honey is about 100% fermentable which is why I was asking if it's even worth using as a featured adjunct. Maybe I'll just make a regular apa and call it a day and save the honey for something else non beer related.

Maybe I do an open fermentation or something like that. Just looking to spice things up a little to make this batch a little more fun. Cheers!

thanks for the responses. I have used honey malt a few times before but I'm currently out of it. A little goes a long way with that stuff so a lb lasted me over a year!

I'm aware honey is about 100% fermentable which is why I was asking if it's even worth using as a featured adjunct. Maybe I'll just make a regular apa and call it a day and save the honey for something else non beer related.

Maybe I do an open fermentation or something like that. Just looking to spice things up a little to make this batch a little more fun. Cheers!
Maybe prime with the honey if you are bottling. You will get some color add as well. Not sure if you would get honey character though.

I'll have to boil it too since it's raw so maybe it'll caramelize a little.
Maybe you could make a point of caramelizing to give the beer a deeper, almost (accent on almost) burnt flavor.
When using dark brown sugar, it left some rich flavor but it also dried out my old ale recipe a little too much.

Back