Additional yeast pitch before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeritageHD

Reaction score
I brewed a barleywine 5 months ago back in November. Sat in primary for about a month and has been in the fermentation chamber at 65* since.

It's time to bottle but I'm not sure if the yeast will have enough left in them to carb properly. Should I pitch at bottling? If so, what and how much?

Originally pitched white labs 007 Dry English and white labs 099 super high gravity. Haven't taken a reading in a while so not sure of the gravity as it sits today.

I brewed a RIS 9.8% and let it sit in secondary for about 5 months. I pitched 1 pack of us-05 in 5.5 gal to help chew up the sugars. All bottles had great carb. I'm not sure what it would have been like without it but the dry yeast was very cheap and it definitely didn't hurt.

No worries about kick starting the residual sugars? I know 1118 is pretty strong and I dont want to dry it out at all.

Most wine yeast is incapable of fermenting maltose. Basically it will consume any simple (sucrose or dextrose) priming sugar you put in and nothing else.

Back