adding zest to boil or secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaxmickey

Colin Craft Brewing
Reaction score
Hey all,

Does it really matter if I add key lime zest directly to boil (10-15 min) or if I infuse it in vodka and strain it to the secondary?

If you're gonna add it to the boil I would add it right at flameout. No need to boil it for that long. But adding at flameout/during the boil you're gonna get very mild citrus flavor and aroma in the finished product. Adding it after primary you're gonna get more pronounced flavors. No need to secondary. Just add the vodka tincture straight to primary. Also, no need to strain, just decant the vodka into the fermenter and if some zest gets in there so be it

I've made a Grapefruit Honey Ale twice.

Both times I dried/lightly toasted grapefruit zest (about 2 grapefruit's worth for 1 gallon of beer) in the oven for 15 or 20 minutes at 250, then added it with 5 minutes left in the boil. It then sat there infusing during the chill-down and was strained out when I transferred to primary.

Both times the grapefruit came through really, really well.

Hope this helps -

Ron

I've done both, and the best success I've had is by splitting the total recipe amount and doing both in the same beer. An amazing version of brewdogs elvis juice

Several ways to skin the cat here as attested by these good responses.

Lime (zest) is one of those additions that can easily be overpowering if too much is added. Adding direct to a boil you lose control of when is enough....or not enough for that matter.

For this reason I always go the tincture route with lime. Strain the zest (no pith) and add into your keg or bottling bucket while sampling until it hits your fancy. Vodka is fine or I use oaked tequila tinctures to make a margarita Gose.

Several ways to skin the cat here as attested by these good responses.

Lime (zest) is one of those additions that can easily be overpowering if too much is added. Adding direct to a boil you lose control of when is enough....or not enough for that matter.

For this reason I always go the tincture route with lime. Strain the zest (no pith) and add into your keg or bottling bucket while sampling until it hits your fancy. Vodka is fine or I use oaked tequila tinctures to make a margarita Gose.

This man knows his sh|t :D

Back