Adding yeast when bottling a very old beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vic ou vico

Reaction score
Hi ! I looked for already existing threads on adding yeast when bottling and I didn't find what I was looking for but sorry if this is a repost.
So basically, my problem is that I brewed a batch last summer which I just now bottled (about 6-8 months), I live elsewhere for studying and I didn't have an opportunity earlier. I'm aware that some of you may be cringing right now or plain shocked at these words, I myself had some doubts as to whether the beer had turned bad or not but when I tried it before bottling it tasted great ! So I decided to go ahead, only problem is that I don't think there is any yeast alive left as it has been deprived of nutriments for so long, so should I add a tiny pinch of yeast in each bottle ?? What do y'all think ? If anything I hope this post is mildly entertaining to you guys since I don't think a lot of people find themselves in my situation.

I wouldn't consider 6-8 months 'very old' and I'm sure there's still live yeast in there. What kind of beer is it and what kind of yeast?

Either way, if it was me, I would probably bottle it as is. It might take slightly longer to carb up, but will prob be fine.

I just bottled a couple wild beers this weekend that had been sitting for 2+ years. Dumped 1 gal due to off flavors, but the rest was still pretty good. I added fresh yeast for that one, but after a few months you should be ok.

Thanks a lot for your answer ! I'm very new at brewing beer so I'm used to fermentation lasting a month at best, I thought 6 to 8 months would be way overboard.
I used a blend of pale ale and pilsen malts that I had leftover from other projects and my yeast is also a blend of S-04 and T-58 (all proportions are about half and half). I'm fine with letting it carb up for a while since I'm away most of the time.
Thanks a lot again you gave me some much needed perspective, I like making projects with little information and a lot of improvisation to keep things fun but I would have been pretty disappointed if my beer ended up flat because of my incompetence.

For some more perspective...I had an issue with bottles carbonating once with a high gravity (11+%), long aged beer. Ended up opening up all the bottles, dosing with champagne yeast and recapping. Hope I never have to do that again, but they eventually carbonated.

Can't quite tell if you've already bottled these or are planning to. If it would put your mind at ease, you could add some more of the same yeast at bottling.

Back