Adding yeast to get better carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalaloch

Reaction score
I’ve done about 30 gallons of Hard Ginger Beer (5 gallons ea) and have never had good carbonation. I’ve checked carb sugar levels, caps, etc.

Finally I’ve realized my ABV is too high for the yeast I’ve been using (S0-4 Yeast which ABV Max is around 8%). My Hard Ginger Beer is at 10%. So I have a batch that’s aging for 6 months and at an FG of .098. Unfortunately I also made this batch at 10% ABV before I realized my mistake.

My question is - can I add a wine yeast (Lavin D47) so that I will have enough yeast left over to carbonate properly? I’d probably let the yeast ferment for 1 month.

Thoughts?

can I add a wine yeast (Lavin D47) so that I will have enough yeast left over to carbonate properly? I’d probably let the yeast ferment for 1 month.
Absolutely. Rehydrate the yeast as directed when you add it.

Rather than add the second yeast a month before packaging, why don't you add it at bottling time? I'll sometimes add about 1/4 packet of CBC-1 at bottling time to my lagers that have been sitting for a while.

Rather than add the second yeast a month before packaging, why don't you add it at bottling time?
Yes, this, definitely.

It never occurred to me that maybe you were asking whether to add it a month before bottling.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back