Adding yeast to fermenting beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImperialStout

Reaction score
Should I add a second packet of yeast to this beer? Despite the activity, (see photo) am concerned there won't be enough yeast to produce 10% ABV.

Didn't see 2 packets of yeast were required. One fresh packet of dry Nottingham, re-hydrated, produced these results in 12 hours. Fermenting at 70 F. Have changed blow-off bottle twice so far. The plug blew off once due to a plugged tube. Tube in photo is (was) clean.

Making a barleywine that should come in at 10% ABV. SG was 1.070, after boil was 1.104, looking to get FG of 1.030.

Any thoughts?

005.JPG

One packet probably won't do much since there isn't much O2 left and the yeast won't reproduce much. What I would do is make a starter from the new packet and pitch that, since it would have grown a bunch of new yeast already and the yeast will be healthy and active too. They'll be able to help out much more than just one packet alone.

Mistake #1, using 1 packet of yeast, Mistake #2, using Notty at 70*.

1 packet re-hydrated, at that gravity, will certainly stress the yeast out and dont be surprised if you have off flavors. Also best to keep Notty under 65*.

Thanks,

Not sure if lack of oxygen or fermenting at 70 F is a problem. I inject pure oxygen into cooled wort in the carboy for 90 seconds. Use a .05 micron SS diffuser at low pressure so there are no large surface bubbles.

Nottingham fermentation temp from the Danstar web site is 57° to 70°F. With relatively high alcohol tolerance, Nottingham works well in imperial beers. I usually ferment at 68 F but a LHBS owner just recommended 70.

With so much activity, (the wort in the carboy looks like a snow globe someone just shook up) I am concerned adding a 2nd packet of yeast will over pitch and ruin the beer.

Any other thoughts?

Back