Adding yeast a day later

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt23

Reaction score
Does it matter too much for how quickly you add yeast to the fermenter?

I'll be brewing a double batch going into one fermenter 2x the size of the brew system, so one batch is brewed one day, the second the following day, with the yeast being added after the second batch is included.

Should it generally be ok and along those lines, how long can you leave a batch in the fermenter before adding the yeast? I suppose oxygen just sitting there doesn't help but out of curiosity, what would likely happen after let's say a week, a month, or what's the limit I guess.

I've done this - sealed up the wort in an airtight, gasketed, 3.5 gallon, HDPE 2, food grade bucket (after careful sanitation of the bucket), and pitched the yeast 2 days later.

It's still in the secondary process, but stealing a "taster sample" after 10 days I couldn't detect any off-flavors - in fact it was very tasty.

This is essentially the "no chill" technique - although they do leave next to no airspace in their cubes - and it's my understanding that wort can stay for weeks in these cubes.

I have started doing this. Make the wort, chill to 80F ish, transfer to sanitized keg, stick into chamber at fermentation temp, and pitch the yeast the next day. As long as your sanitation is spot on and you pitch enough healthy yeast you shouldn't have a problem.

Yup, I do this pretty much every time. Seal up my brew bucket and into the fermenter fridge she goes. Get it down to pitching temp overnight and oxygenate/pitch the next morning or evening. Like jerbrew said, as long as sanitizion is on point and you're sealed up well, shouldn't be an issue.

I also do this for every beer due to warm ground water. I get it as low as I can and let the ferm fridge do the rest

I no-chill and usually that means I pitch the next day. For the batch I brewed on Tuesday that's actually going to be sometime on the weekend because I need the ferm fridge to chill 4G of bottles. I don't anticipate any problems, seeing as the cube was filled with 90C wort before it was sealed. Everything in there dead.

If the second half of this batch will be chilled to pitching temperature before being added to the first half, I'd go ahead and pitch on the first half...

Cheers!

Necro-bump. Thanks for the info, this is reassuring. I'm attending a Big Brew tomorrow and my local home brew shop doesn't have any ale yeast. I ended up ordering some from Amazon and shipping it right to the place that I'm brewing. This'll be interesting to say the least. I'm planning on doing 2 batches and need yeast for both, US-05. Hopefully Amazon and the USPS don't let me down.

Back