Adding Wort to Fermenting beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duncanfj

Reaction score
Brewed an imperial IPA this morning with grain purchased from morebeer. Didn't notice until I had mash water heating up that they sent me two lbs of crystal 20 instead of aromatic. Left out the crystal and proceeded with the brew which is in the fermenter now. Now I'm wondering if I should go ahead and steep a couple of lbs of aromatic and add it to the fermenter, as it was 10% of my grain bill.

The rest:
12# Golden Promise
2# Munich
1.5# Caramel 60
1# Honey
0.5# Candi Syrup
0.5# Honey Malt

9 oz of Cascade and Columbus

Fermenting with YB Vermont Ale

Thoughts?

I would leave it alone, but I am curious what are your plans for steeping the extra grain. You thinking about using some of the existing wort or fresh water?

I would probably use the existing wort. The loss of yeast from taking out a quart or two would be negligible.

At 5.25 finished gallons you have a 1.090 O.G., and with that yeast you'll probably have a 1.023 F.G. and a 8.7 %. Adding Crystal 60 will give you a beer with a higher F.G. w/o adding too much alcohol. What exactly is your goal with this ale?

It is inspired by a beer I had in Chicago by Greenbush Brewing, Brother Benjamin. Found a few posts online where they discussed grain, IBU's, etc. Not really looking to up the ABV, just trying to create a similar taste profile, which is why I'm considering adding the Aromatic that was in my original recipe formulation and which I know they use.

I really like the smell of aromatic and biscuit in the mash, but it seems to fade by the time it hits the bucket. I have been thinking about adding those grains late in the mash to see it would be more present in the bucket and the final beer, but have not tried it yet. If doing a steep with finished wort does not maximize the aromatic character of the malt, I guess nothing will.

Curious to hear how it turns out if you do steep the added grain.

It is inspired by a beer I had in Chicago by Greenbush Brewing, Brother Benjamin. Found a few posts online where they discussed grain, IBU's, etc. Not really looking to up the ABV, just trying to create a similar taste profile, which is why I'm considering adding the Aromatic that was in my original recipe formulation and which I know they use.

Greenbush is in Sawyer, Mi. if you haven't been it's an amazing place hidden away in a tiny little town just over the Indiana boarder.

as far as adding steeped grains to already fermenting beer, it's a waste.

The process of steeping grains adds that into the mix, adding it now will give you completely wonky results.

I would complete this batch as is and bottle it.

Do ANOTHER batch correctly steeped & fermented with proper grain bill and compare the two. perfect way to get an assessment of exactly what that grain did to your finished beer.

Back