Adding whiskey to an Irish Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enoch52

Reaction score
I just brewed my second-ever batch of beer (Northern Brewer's starter kit Irish Red Ale), and I was thinking it might be nice to add some Irish whiskey to change it up a bit. Any ideas on the best way to do that?

The two ideas I'm currently considering are soaking oak chips in whiskey (fermentation has already started, so it may have to sit in the primary for a few extra days while I get the oak chips) or simply adding some whiskey directly to the secondary. Any thoughts on what would work better? How much/when should I add?

I typically add it in a ratio of 1.5 oz of whiskey to 16 - 20 oz. of beer. Pour the whiskey into a small glass and drink it, followed by beer from a lager glass. Repeat as required.

Seriously, though, I think the whiskey flavor would get lost in an Irish red unless you used quite a bit. You're probably better off just adding some oak and perhaps a tiny hint of vanilla to give the suggestion of whiskey without sending your ABV through the roof.

I use various oaks soaked in Whiskey or Rum or others to impart a variety of flavors and nuances to my beers, particularly for my various stouts. Depending on batch size it could be anywhere from 4oz of chips and a cup of single malt soaked for a few days before adding to the secondary. Let it sit for a couple of weeks, tasting everycouple of days.
I think it's fun to experiment, to discover the differneces in toasting of the wood (I have used oak, applewood, cherry wood and pear wood) and the subtleties of the alcohol added to the different brews.

I don't actually have any oak chips at the moment, although I do have cherrywood and applewood that I bought for smoking meat. I wonder if one of those would work...

I actually started doing the math on that, and realized we were talking about an ounce of whiskey/beer...and I still didn't get it. I was amazed at how much whiskey that would be until I finished reading it.

I like to experiment, I haven't made anything truly bad but I have had some that was overpowering, either in the wood notes or the alcohol added. I don't usually follow a "standard" but I take notes on what I'm doing.

Dumb question but to soak the wood chips in the beer do you place them in a baggie like you would when you steep the grains?

That's my understanding--I'm planning on putting the wood chips in a plastic container and covering them with whiskey and letting that sit until primary is complete. Then I'll put them in the muslin bag I got for specialty grains, drop that in the secondary, and rack the beer on top of it.

I'm sure you could just toss them into the secondary. It's not like you might siphon a chip or two into your bottles/keg...

I have a 1/2 gallon maon jar, I sterilize it prior to use, I place my chips and the alcohol in it, cover and let soak until ready to use. Then I strain out the chips and add them to my secondary bucket, in a mesh bag.

Latest posts

Back