adding to beer kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dablyth

Reaction score
Hi there,
Bit randon but im looking to make a Christmas ale.... my question is can I add Christmas pudding to a gordie beer kit during fermentation ... will this work.

Sorry for odd question

karl

I don't think adding pudding will work out real well...kinda like adding chocolate milk. It's the spices that are typically added to the beer, as in a dark beer, like a brown or porter.

Thank you. Just thought I'd ask. Somebody were I work said I could do ... ill just make a muslin bag filled with the spices

And if you want a creamy flavor you can always add some lactose (milk sugar) to the batch, lactose can't be fermented so the flavor stays...

If the original poster is from the UK, we might be misunderstanding. A traditional Christmas pudding is nothing like the jello instant pudding we have in the states...it's closer to what we'd think of as a fruitcake.

That being said, I think you'd still be better off adding fruits and spices to a secondary fermentation, than actually adding pieces of the pudding/fruitcake to the beer.

My Christmas Pudding (I'm British) is being made this month! It is a suet (cow kidney fat) steamed pudding containing tons of candied fruits and various dried grapes. The whole thing is then 'marinated' for want of a better word in Brandy/Rum and left to sit until until Christmas when it is re-steamed, and more brandy goes on before we set it on fire and briefly and drown it in more rum/brandy butter sauce .....

.... it basically ****ing rules ....

Either way here is a recipe that isn't mine but is in the ballpark albeit it with different boozes. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/superb-english-plum-pudding-20010 ... as you can imagine these flavors all merge over the time these puddings mature, so the flavors are a blended. Its not enough just to take the spices, the citrus/rind/fruit flavors are really key and of course whatever tipple you choose as your alcohol backing.

And yes ... if you are between brews and want to work on something ... the puddings ... they need to happen more for everybody. The suet is fantastic, hard kidney fat from cows -- a lot of US butchers don't seem to get it much and/or will sell you bags of any old kind of fat. It has an extremely high melting point so your pudding cooks around it and then it melts leaving lots of little holes for things like brandy to fill.

I wonder if you can take all the fruit, the alchohol, the spices and toss them all together in a bowl and let them sit overnight and let them infuse. It gets quite potent. In sufficient quantities with the right beer on the back you might be able to almost add them in after fermentation and get them to pop a bit. This is guessing ..... otherwise the prominent flavors like cinnamon, allspice .... there is lots of overlap here, it might get tough. You don't need the suet, the flour, any of that just the flavors but it is more than the spices...

I'm totally interested in this if you can't tell ....

I know what they call pudding we call cake. Regardless, lactose is just the sugar from the milk, not lactose free milk at all! The fruit & spices added to a beer like a brown or robust porter might take the place of the cake, or pudding, as you call it.

I know what they call pudding we call cake. Regardless, lactose is just the sugar from the milk, not lactose free milk at all! The fruit & spices added to a beer like a brown or robust porter might take the place of the cake, or pudding, as you call it.

Cake is cake.

Pudding is pudding and is sometimes used to describe any desert course ... so it could be cake ... but it could also be ice cream :D 'Mam, whats for pudding?'....

Just to keep things simple.

Cake is cake.

Pudding is pudding and is sometimes used to describe any desert course ... so it could be cake ... but it could also be ice cream :D 'Mam, whats for pudding?'....

Just to keep things simple.

Gotta love those darn Brits! They mess up the language so much. You know they say we're two countries separated by a common language. :D

I suspect the fats from the suet may effect your head retention.

Based on the Plum Pudding recipe I would think you could do the following: (edit technically this could be cut in half and you would still get the flavors)

Add the following items to a plastic container that has a lid

1 pound seedless raisins
1 pound sultana raisins
1/2 pound currants
1 cup thinly sliced citron
1 cup chopped candied peel
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon mace
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Top this off with Cognac and Port, put the lid on and let it steep in your fridge making a spiced tea of sorts. You can strain this with a coffee filter and add this to your beer when you're bottleing or kegging, the advantage of doing it at this time is so you can blend it to your liking.

For the bready part of the recipe I would just shoot for a maltier style of beer to emulate the bread. Brew a basic amber or brown style if you're doing all grain use a good amount of victory to add some biscuit flavor to the base malt. Hop it with Fuggles or EKG with no late additions I'd shoot for higher IBUs to balance the sweetness of the tea you will be adding later. Use English ale S04 yeast

Send me a bottle too it sounds yummy.

well im going to play around, also there is recipe floating round internet making wine from left over Christmas pudding ( uk ) .... think I try both ....

Back