Adding Sugar to Primary Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiscoMan

Reaction score
Hey All,

I want to add a little bit of sugar to my carboy to increase the alcohol ( I changed my recipe last minute while boiling the wert and realized I forgot to put in more malt/sugar to increase alcohol)

I pitched my yeast a little over 48 hours (as of right now). My airlock started bubbling really well within 24 hours so I know it is fermenting. I was going to boil some sugar in water then cool the water down, then throw that into the carboy within the next few days.

QUESTION: How do I get the water into the carboy without splashing and oxidizing the beer???

An Additional Question!

Can I boil LME in water for 60 minutes, cool that and then pour that into my carboy instead of boiling sugar?

Add long as you have active fermentation there should be a nice blanket of CO2 in your carboy. No need to worry about oxidation, just go ahead and dump it in.

So the LME can just go straight into the primary? I think I should dissolve it in a little water so it doesnt just sink to the bottom

If it were me I would boil the LME, but only for 5 minutes or so, just to make sure it is sanitary.

The choice between sugar or LME is partly about what you want to achieve. Sugar will dry out the beer more for the same gravity points.

My biggest reason was that I forgot to add more malt extract during the boil... alcohol will be low and flavor will be off. I am going to boil some extra and just pour it in. Hopefully it will all work out!

Thank you everyone :mug:

So I poured in my water/LME mix and decide to add some dry yeast Safale 04 just to get things going again. There is just a pile of the yeast on top of the Krausen ... It does look like the yeast is already starting to go. It was a pack of dry yeast I opened about 3 days ago that I kept in the fridge... Hopefully not a problem

image-2132561237.jpg

What I meant was you don't need to boil the lme for an hour. You should boil it long enough to sanitize and dissolve it and preferably wait till the hot break (though hot break is fairly minimal with extracts).

Back