Adding sugar in primary do I stir?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReesBrew

Reaction score
I am adding sugar after a couple days in the primary. Do I need to stir the sugar (which I have boiled in water) into the beer and if so do I mix up the trub or avoid doing that ?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Home Brew mobile app

You can just biol up and cool the sugar/water solution and gently pour it into the fermenter. Don't stir or otherwise agitate the mixture- the yeast will find the sugar.

Only 2 reasons to stir or mix: to aerate and to get an accurate OG. If doing a repeat of a recipe, just toss it in, no order, no mix. If the yeast don't like it, well, they can complain on this forum.
Sanitizing: If you have a sealed commercial package of sugar, corn or table, it probably does not have to be boiled. I've got 10 ales and 8 wines so far, with no boiling. I buy my sugar in bulk, put the bag in a clean poly bag, sanitize the area around the opening, wear rubber gloves, open and spoon it out. close when done. Make sure not to fold the outside of the bag inward. better yet, leave it alone and close the poly bag.

Back