Adding Spice to a Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
Hello,

Our brew club brewed a pretty big (8.5%) holiday beer a couple of months ago and we are going to be drinking it at our holiday party which is a month from now.

It is in a keg and I tasted yesterday and a lot of the spices have faded (which I'm not surprised about).

I want to spice it back up before we serve it and I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything here. The keg just got moved to a cooler and it has not be carbonated yet.

I was just going to boil a couple of cups of water with my nutmeg, cinnamon and other spices- cool it- and add it to the keg. Then re-purge the keg or start to force carbonate at that point.

I obviously want there to be time for the spices to settle out of solution before we serve so should I do this ASAP to give it a few weeks to settle out?

Will this work and do you have any tips or things I should be thinking about that I didn't mention? Thanks!

You're method would be just fine. You might lose a little aroma boiling it, so I recommend you boil the water, then take it off the heat and add the spices to steep. You can just decant the tea off, or get real fancy and put the boiling water and the spices in a french press, then press out the spices and pour into keg.

That sounds like a kick-ya-in-the-ass big holiday ale!

Back