Adding Saaz to Hefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undallas

Reaction score
Hello,

I want to brew a modification of Bee Cave Hefe.

I have Northern Brewer and Saaz on hand.

One thing that I want to do is to use 3/8 oz of NB for bittering.
1/4 oz of Saaz at 20 minutes
1/4 oz of Saaz at 5 minutes

I have read that Hefe style do not have hop flavor. Has anyone try flavor/aroma addition for hefe? I guess it is a balance of hop and yeast if I try this one.

My last drink of hefe was light and refreshing... not much hop flavor for sure.

I have done a couple Hefeweizens with a 5 min addition of .25 oz Spalt. It blends in nicely without overpowering the delicate flavor of a Hefe.

As for the 30 min addition I don't know. I haven't made a hefe with one yet.

Hello,

I want to brew a modification of Bee Cave Hefe.

I have Northern Brewer and Saaz on hand.

One thing that I want to do is to use 3/8 oz of NB for bittering.
1/4 oz of Saaz at 20 minutes
1/4 oz of Saaz at 5 minutes

I have read that Hefe style do not have hop flavor. Has anyone try flavor/aroma addition for hefe? I guess it is a balance of hop and yeast if I try this one.

My last drink of hefe was light and refreshing... not much hop flavor for sure.

Many brewers brew weizen with flavour and aroma hop additions; they just like it this way, no matter what style says.
One of my best weizens I make with 30' and 15' additions of Lublin, very similar to Saaz.

Extract or all-grain? If all-grain, I would try a First Wort Hop addition.

Otherwise, I regularly use saaz at the end of the boil to soften the beer. I rarely use 20 minute hop additions, however, as they add a bit of flavor not to style for a german hefeweizen. That, and I like malty beers.

Extract or all-grain? If all-grain, I would try a First Wort Hop addition.

Otherwise, I regularly use saaz at the end of the boil to soften the beer. I rarely use 20 minute hop additions, however, as they add a bit of flavor not to style for a german hefeweizen. That, and I like malty beers.

All Grain... I'll take your advice to use NB for FWH....I'll probably save the saaz for somehting else (maybe anothe Rogue DGA)..

BTW.. I just finished your favorite SMaSH on Sunday (Vienna + NB)... man, it is a tasty wort.... It was my first AG... 75% efficiency... I actually use 12 # with end OG of 1.058.... I was doubting about my efficiency with previous PM's... I guess I use more water to sparge to 6+ gallons.. that probably help...
thanks for the great recipe.....can't wait for it...

I'd actually say use the saaz for FWH and at the end and keep your 60 min NB. Just move the 20 minute addition. FWH gives more flavor than bittering. Any way will probably be fine, tho. Just keep the IBUs at 10-12.

Nice to hear about the NB+Vienna...still one of my favorite beers...may have to make one soon.

I've used Saaz a couple of time for a hefe. Keep in mind that it is not appropriate for the style, but I got good results. I believe I used 1/2 oz for the final addition, and it kinda blended well with the spicy aromas from the yeast. Go for it!

Saaz in a Hefe sounds wonderful, although I would probably use a bit more than you're considering, i think that the aroma from between 1 1/2 to 2 oz at the end of the boil would really add to some fuller bodied hefeweizen recipes.

Back