Adding racking port to v-vessel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borealis

Reaction score
I was just given two v vessels and am wondering if it would be possible to add a racking port to one to see if it helps when transferring into kegs so that less sediment is transferred into the keg. Is there a way to do this that would not end up being an invitation for bacteria inside the vessel?

There are many on here that have used the plastic conicals (water tanks) and added weldless racking ports. Do a search for Plastic Conical and that will give you some ideas.

FWIW, I'd leave it be. You can drop your yeast/trub out of the bottom port and in to that collection bulb or a mason jar. Then when the beer starts to run clear switch the hose over to your bottling bucket or keg. The cone on those VVessel's are steep enough that you shouldn't get much sticking to the sides.

Thanks for the reply. I thought about a wledless fitting but was curious about providing a place for bacteria to hide. Is that something that something that people take apart and clean before each use?

I'm not a fan of weldless fittings in a fermenter, but I know the Blichmann Fermenator uses them & plenty of folks ferment in bottling buckets without an issue. But again, I'll ask why? Just leave that yeast collection bulb attached (per the Vvessel website) and you should be good to go to rack through the bottom.

I have a VV, use it sometimes for wine but did run a few beers through it. A racking port would not be of much use, nor would it be easy to operate considering the shape of the vessel. What you want to do is take a rubber mallet or even you hand and tap the sides of the fermenter to get the trub to drop into the capsule. Then turn off the valve and remove. Not turning off the valve causes one to scream - trust me on this.

I guess the question is, did you get the collection capsules with the VV ?

Yes, I did get the collection capsule. I'd be interested in advice on how to avoid getting sediment in my kegs. I was just given these, so have not used them yet, but was told that the former owner's only complaint was that he would get sediment in his kegs.

Yes, I did get the collection capsule. I'd be interested in advice on how to avoid getting sediment in my kegs. I was just given these, so have not used them yet, but was told that the former owner's only complaint was that he would get sediment in his kegs.

Mount these in a fridge somehow and cold crash for 4-5 days before racking to a keg. That seems to drop just about everything out for me. (I ferment in sanke kegs btw.)

Prior owner was more than likely getting the trub hung up in the narrow opening at the bottom, that's why you have to tap the sides frequently to get it to fall into the capsule. The other option is to use the capsule to get rid of as much trub as possible and rack from the top with a siphon.

Back