Adding priming sugar directly to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If I'm looking to bottle a small amount of bottles (12 - 24 bottles) right from the fermenter...

1.) Can I just add corn sugar to the sanitized bottles and then fill the bottles from there?
2.) Is there a calculator that can tell me how much corn sugar to use PER 12oz BOTTLE? The brewers friend calculator doesn't seem to like small volumes. It told me .1oz corn sugar, no matter what I changed the CO2 volumes to...
upload_2019-10-23_9-43-4.png
upload_2019-10-23_9-49-24.png

https://www.northernbrewer.com/pages/priming-sugar-calculator

Uses more digits.

Note that Domino Sugar Cube "Dots" are 2.5 g sugar, which supposedly equated to 1/2 tsp. These might work well for you.

Of course, that would depend on the vol CO2 that you are targeting.

I'm thinking of targeting 2.1 volumes, which is where the northern brewer calculator told me 1.81g sugar.

No issue with just adding the sugar to the bottle versus boiling up water and dissolving the sugar?

The MoreBeer calculator says 1.94g dextrose. I'm not sure why there's a difference or which one's right. I suspect there are rounding errors built into one of the calculators. I'm feeling ill today otherwise I would track down which one is right.

Regardless of which figure you use, it's probably easier and better to make a stock sugar solution and add the amount with a syringe.
If you add sugar powder, the nucleation points will cause foaming and loss of carbonation.

Stock solution is easy to make. For example, if you have a 5mL syringe or a teaspoon:
Just scale the concentration 1.94g/5mL
Measure 194g dextrose and top up to 500mL, or scale as appropriate based on how much you need and can accurately measure the volume.

Cheers

The issue there is using ounces- anything below .1 ounce is immeasurable by most people. Try grams.

The way I figure it is that there are 640 ounces in 5 gallons. You'd use 4.5 ounces to carbonate that volume. That's 53 +/- bottles. That means you'd divide 4.5 ounces by 53. That gives you 0.0849 (call it 0.085) ounces of sugar per bottle.

That's why you get .1 ounce no matter what your input is.

Grams allows for smaller and more precise measurements.

I'm thinking of targeting 2.1 volumes, which is where the northern brewer calculator told me 1.81g sugar.

No issue with just adding the sugar to the bottle versus boiling up water and dissolving the sugar?
For the sake of simplicity, I put in one Domino Dot straight out of the box per 12oz bottle before filling for my 1G or 2G batches. Haven't had any issues and I've been happy with the carb level over various styles, although it is a one size fits all approach.

Grams allows for smaller and more precise measurements.
Now there's some wise advice! ^

If your scale has a grams readout, definitely use that when weighing smaller amounts. 0.1 ounce reads as 3 grams, 0.2 ounce as 6 grams.

All weights are calculated by a small microprocessor inside. When you get to very small quantities, always use the grams or whatever the smallest unit is. But, uh, there are limits to precision at weighing small masses as such on a scale that can weight 11 pounds, for example.

Also, if you do mineral additions to your brewing water, a 100 gram scale that has a readout in 0.01 grams would be useful and better suited. It took me way too long to finally spring the $12-15 to get this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Scales-...=100mg+scale&qid=1554046981&s=gateway&sr=8-12
Works as promised, and comes with a 100 gram calibration weight. And tweezers.

Little factoid...
The calibration weight should not be touched with your skin because you leave an oil residue on everything you touch (which adds to the mass). It's shaped the way it is so that it can be easily handled with tweezers.

and once again i'm reminded how much crap i get for my $8 10 gallon batches.....
None of the 4 analytical scales I got in an auction are working well enough to do the job.
You may take a guess how I "weighed" small quantities before... The clue lies in "apportioning."

If your scale has a grams readout, definitely use that when weighing smaller amounts. 0.1 ounce reads as 3 grams, 0.2 ounce as 6 grams.

All weights are calculated by a small microprocessor inside. When you get to very small quantities, always use the grams or whatever the smallest unit is. But, uh, there are limits to precision at weighing small masses as such on a scale that can weight 11 pounds, for example.

Also, if you do mineral additions to your brewing water, a 100 gram scale that has a readout in 0.01 grams would be useful and better suited. It took me way too long to finally spring the $12-15 to get this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Scales-...=100mg+scale&qid=1554046981&s=gateway&sr=8-12

My scale has 0.01 oz and 0.1g precision. So, reading in ounces is more precise than grams.

I suppose if someone has problems with fractional numbers, then grams is better. But for most people, if the greatest precision is your goal, look at your scale before you decide which form of weight you use. I use ounces always.

(I've never been comfortable with the metric system, as much as I've tried. Yes, math is far easier when everything is based on powers of 10, but intuitively I can't think in kilograms/meters/Celcius. Thank goodness we all agree on how many hours are in a day, a metric watch would kill me.)

My scale has 0.01 oz and 0.1g precision. So, reading in ounces is more precise than grams.

I suppose if someone has problems with fractional numbers, then grams is better. But for most people, if the greatest precision is your goal, look at your scale before you decide which form of weight you use. I use ounces always.

(I've never been comfortable with the metric system, as much as I've tried. Yes, math is far easier when everything is based on powers of 10, but intuitively I can't think in kilograms/meters/Celcius. Thank goodness we all agree on how many hours are in a day, a metric watch would kill me.)
Always something new. Do the oz go up in 0.01 increments? Or 0.02 or 0.03?

I was raised with metrics, it's natural for me. Once you understand and actually "think in metrics," it's super easy. But I totally understand how difficult it is to switch from one system to another.

How many kilograms is 3.785 liters of water vs. how many pounds is a (U.S.) gallon of water? :tank:
But a sheet of plywood (or masonite) is 4x8 feet here, as well as in Europe. That's 121.92 x 243.84 cm. :rolleyes: :drunk:

Be careful. When homebrewing began this is how beer was carbonated. Adding a "bit" of sugar to the bottle. Lot of bottle bombs were produced. Some smart person devised the method of using a measured amount of sugar (based on desired carbonation and the volume) in 2 cups of water, boiled for 10 minutes.

Thanks for the info. I have a Lyman reloading scale that I use for water additions and what not that measures out in x.xx grams. That should do the trick!

Back