Adding Peppermint Schnapps to A Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KidDynamite

Reaction score
So we have some leftover Peppermint Schnapps from a failed bespoke cocktail at our New Years Party.

I had the brilliant idea of adding some to a stout to make a mint-stout.

I know that lots of people make tinctures out of vodka and herbs or vodka and fruit when adding flavor to beer in secondary, so I had the idea that I could do the same thing with Peppermint Schnapps... thoughts? good idea? terrible idea?

If i do this, does anyone have any clue how much I'd want to add (ie: I'll probably do a 2 gallon batch) ?? also - timing? after primary fermentation is complete? Do i need to worry about the actual ingredients of the Schnapps (they are not on the bottle)...

my stout base recipe is something like this for a 2 gallon batch:

3.5 lbs. American 2 row pale malt

0.5 lbs roasted barley

0.5 lbs caramel/crystal 60

0.25 lbs chocolate malt

Mash for 1 hour at 152 degrees. Sparge with 1.5 gallons of 170 degree water.

Boil:

bring wort to boil, then add (in nylon hops bag):

0.2 oz Challenger hops

0.2 oz Challenger hops after 30 minutes

0.2 oz Styrian Goldings hops after 59 minutes.

remove from heat, cool wort to 70 degrees, pitch Safbrew T-58 yeast.

thanks in advance...

I'm shooting from the hip here, but my thoughts are this: You don't need to worry about sanitizing the schnapps, plus boiling would vaporize the alcohol in it anyways (although it would still leave the mintiness behind). So, why not pour off a small, say 4 oz sample when its done fermenting. Then, add a few drops from a eyedropper to taste. Record how many drops per oz you used then scale up. For reference, 20 drops = 1 ml. That way if it sucks, you don't waste the stout.

My advice is to pour yourself a shot of Schnapps and a beer. Have a sip of schnapps then wash it down with the beer. Delicious drink.

Back