Adding orange?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cashscraft

Reaction score
So I have a Bavarian hefeweizen in its first week of primary fermentation and was wondering if I took a gal of it and added something to give it a subtle orange flavor if that would taste good. And if so what should I add and when should I add it? My plan was to take the last gallon and add orange extract alittle at a time tell I get the taste I want and bottle it.

Normally you would have added bitter orange peel or sweet orange peel during the boil with a Hefe. Some of the flavors you are looking for will come with the yeast. I have never used orange extract. I would imagine a little will go a long way. I would wait until primary fermentation is done. Then go for it. Just add a little at a time. Hefe's are grain to glass quickly. Normally I would not secondary a Hefe because you want it cloudy but be careful adding to much "new" sugars at bottling could create bombs.

Yeah if I was to add the exract it would be in the bottle bucket, I did not add anything to the boil because I just want 1 gal of it not 5

Back