adding orange and coriander seed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjphillybrew

Reaction score
Going to brew a Northern Brewer Bavarian Hefe this weekend. I am thinking about adding orange and coriander seed. So, a few questions:

1. When does the orange (rind only?) go in? (I know not to put the white pith in). I read somewhere about putting it in the the last 10 min of boil. Can it go into carboy or do I strain it out?

2. When does coriander go in? Do I strain it out before it goes into carboy?

Does anyone think that I should just follow the recipe and not try to get creative since this is only my 2nd batch or should I just go for it?

Thanx

When I've brewed with those I've dropped them both in anywhere from 15min to 5min left in the boil. I tend to follow the recipe though but that's just me.

I have put them in at 10 minutes to go. I don't know if you will get more flavor boiling longer or if it will get boiled off.

When I brew a wit i do a half oz each of bitter orange and coriander at 10 minutes left in the boil.I then do a half oz of each in the secondary.<i liketo heat them up to pasteurize before the secondary tho>

it's fine in the fermenter too. I put some in the boil and make another addition in the fermenter (after the active fermentation is complete - after about a week).

You can strain them out if you want but it isn't really necessary. Also, as the others have said, anywhere between 20 min and 5 min should give you good results. I typically throw mine in at the 10-15 min mark.

Yep, along with everyone else I go with throwing them in with 15 minutes left in the boil. It gives it the spicing you need/want without being way overpowering. I've always strained it out and still had the spicing be to my liking

Back